Author Topic: Kestrel  (Read 2449 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Kestrel
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:13 pm »
I've always been crazy about the western hemisphere's smallest member of the falcon family, the American Kestrel.  They inhabit the whole of both northern and southern continents and thrive even in city environments.  About the size of a robin, they eat mostly insects, but depending on local availability they will also take out mice and small birds.  They were once called a "sparrowhawk", but they are not hawks, but true falcons. 

Hendrix, the bird in the picture below is a male.  They are the only falcon in the western hemisphere you can tell males and females apart by coloration. Males have the gorgeous blue/grey wings, whereas a females wings would be the rusty brown color you see on the back.  In this photo he is mantling over the mouse he is eating on the perch. 

Anywho...I'm thinking out how to build a bow that captures this little guy's style.

I'm thinking bend in the handle, to make it more compact.  Thin limb tips for fast recovery, rapid arrow speed with lighter weight arrows.  And painting a colorful pattern on the back for sheer eyecandy. 

Anyone else have additional suggestions?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
Re: Kestrel
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:18:59 pm »
Jw, that s a very beautiful pic. I read my side of the mountain many,many years ago and have had a bird of prey love every day since. A rawhide back with the Kestrels wing pattern colored beore sealing?
Matt
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:29:06 pm by Scout76 »
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:09 pm »
I have the whole series by Ms. Craighead.  Good books even with all the inaccuracies....especially aggravating since she and her two brothers are three of the finest ornithological experts in our times.

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:42 pm »
you know i love the birds.thanks for the pic Jdub.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 11:24:21 pm »
Those Kestrels really are beautiful JW. I live in town and its not uncommon to see one of these from time to time, probably more around
than what I see. Great idea on doing a bow to resemble the characteristics of these small falcons. Maybe inlay a small half round shinny
black stone somewhere into the bow to mimic an eye and be sure to tie on a feather somewhere also.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 11:26:16 pm »
I have a full set of wing primaries and secondaries, as well as a set of tail feathers.  I keep them in case he breaks a one and I have to "imp" in a repair.  Something tells me I would find myself losing my hard won federal permit to keep this guy if I used those feathers on a fetish hanging from the grip!

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:00:46 am »
Those guys rock!  I see them sitting on the power lines along rural roads.  I heard they can take out doves!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:21:01 am »
Something like this?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 02:23:37 am »
Something like this?

:o :o Is that for hang gliding?

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 06:37:50 am »
i'm thinking it's got to have some curves to it, like a set back handle with flipped tips, kinda like a wing's spread profile, Bub,
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Scowler

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 07:43:19 am »
Cool photo and idea for a Kestral-inspired bow.  Perhaps angled geometric patterns in brown, grey, and white with black highlights.  A black circle at either end of the limbs, near the tips, to represent the Kestral's eyes.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 08:10:26 am »
Blackhawk's set back handle re curved lever molly would be an excellent representation of the Sparrow Hawk !
He would be glad to help you at the classic I am sure !
Hope to see ya there!
Have fun and thanks for sharing !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 10:10:23 am »
Beautiful bird. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 10:53:29 am »
Great pic JW of that bird there.I always liked watching them do there thing out in the stubble fields as I was doing my field work.Great entertainment.In the fall they really get a lot of those big old grasshoppers.Maybe some type of gull wing profile type bow with the wings painted on the back maybe.You'd have to play with the colors a bit to get them right.Sounds like an artists type touch is needed.Great idea.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:20:04 pm »
That's a cool little bird, pretty, JW. And it's kinda ironic, when my son finishes up in Germany he'll be leading up the Kestrel Project for Logos Technologies.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?