Author Topic: Red Oak Trade Bow Progress Report (Arrived!)  (Read 11715 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Red Oak Trade Bow Progress Report (More progress pics)
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 02:51:00 am »
This is the splice i think hes talking about. http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/13802
I think thats what ill do, ill add a few thin layers that are from fade to fade, then ill take the handle section and add it on top of that, and ill add the riser on the back(same thickness.) Did i get that right? Im glad you said something about fixing it.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 02:55:24 am »
This is how im envisioning the repair panning out.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2013, 03:08:54 am »
Muffin, that's about what I was thinking, also.  I'm just wondering how far out to the fades you should go?  Heck, if I were doing that much gluing, I'd do another lam on the back to give more wood to round off as a grip.  Of course using different types of wood would make it look very pretty.

Matt, we COMPLETELY hijacked your thread.  I apologize, but this repair talk fasinated me. Good looking bow.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2013, 03:11:15 am »
oops, didnt realize this was his thread for his bow. Thought it was a thread for progress on the trade.

Offline sleek

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2013, 03:18:22 am »
Gimme a sec, I am putting a response with pics together...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 03:45:00 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2013, 03:39:01 am »
Ok, that link you posted, its a W splice. I dont think you have material enough for a splice that wide. Int this splice i am going to show you you will see its a diamond cut out inserted into the middle of the two broken limbs. If done properly, you will never see the actual splice.

The white paper is the diamond. Make two of these. Glue one onto the piece you are going to insert into the splice, and another onto the broken bow where the splice will be inserted.

Once both are cut, insert the new center piece into the two bow limbs.

This bow is a bow I did this splice on. The lower limb broke first, I spliced it, then the upper broke, pictured here. My finger is pointing at the only seam you can see. And it is where the tow pieces of wood touched before the break. I lost ZERO bow length on this splice.

I havent fixed the upper limb yet, but this is the bow with the back lam on it. I made it very proud for artistic reasons. It didnt need to be.

You will need to expand the length of your fades out a bit. About an inch per fade. That will reduce the leverage force against your splice. Build up your riser on the handle belly in the normal way. A back lam will also help, but again, if the belly is done right, you may not need it. Better to have it though.

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2013, 03:43:41 am »
Its really not a complicated job, and can look very good once done. Its also very strong. This bow was a 40@28 bow before it let go the first time. I fixed it then the opposite limb let loose in the same spot. I quit caring then, but kept the bow cause it may make a 30 pounder for target. The limbs broke due to tryin to recurve them. Ash, in my experience, doesnt like to recurve. By the way, I also lost all faith in silk for a backing material.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2013, 04:05:13 am »
ok, i see what your saying, i should also probably make it as long as possible. well see how it turns out!

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2013, 04:11:23 am »
Yup, long is good. Just try to stay out of your fades. Good luck bud and post pics:)

Offline ScottN

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2013, 11:08:54 am »
sleek, would you happen to have any more info on that "diamond splice" that you pictured? perhaps a how-to of someone doing one?

a few months back i broke a friends first self bow from a stave that he made. it snapped at the limb similar to the one you pictured. it broke due to a poor tiller, but i still feel horrible because i was the one pulling the string  :o  im wondering if i'd be able to repair it for him with this diamond splice!
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline sleek

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2013, 11:25:56 am »
The splice is really simple as it looks. I reckon you could call it a diamond splice, but its really a double fishtail. Either way.... A splice in the working limb is darn near impossible, unless you back the entire bow, in which case, it would be very easy. Though, it wouldnt be a self bow anymore. Most will also tell you to just make another bow at that point also. Sooooo sorry about the hijacking. Probably the worst anybody has ever done.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:32:15 am by sleek »

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2013, 10:48:54 pm »
No problem on the hijacking. It was good info.

I just wanted to update on my trade bow. I was unhappy with some polyurethane drips on the belly of the bow, so I sanded it off, repainted, and put a new coat of urethane on tonight. A few more coats and I'll ship it out. Probably on Wednesday. Sorry for the delay, but I want to send out my best work.

Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline sleek

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2013, 10:57:23 pm »
Thanks for being cool about it. Wonder if anybody thinks I should do a build alnong on this splice method? I can do one for the broken tip, and do one for a billet splice on an ash board bow I want to build.

Offline Matt Heppe

• Eternal Knight
Re: Red Oak Trade Bow Progress Report (Shipped!)
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 06:43:17 pm »
Shipped! Your bow should arrive on Tuesday. You don't have to sign for it.

I took her out and put 80 arrows through her last night. I love this bow. Making a recurve was great fun and I look forward to doing more.

If you are good at leatherwork I think a black leather grip would look great. I've never worked with leather, so I put a satin cord wrap around the handle. It is a shoot off the knuckle bow, which is my favorite. You could add a floppy rest if you want to.

Enjoy! I think she really zips an arrow.

Best,
Matt
Eternal Knight: where I write about writing, do book reviews, and display my novice bows.

Offline oscar3b

Re: Red Oak Trade Bow Progress Report (Shipped!)
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2013, 05:49:20 pm »
Hey Matt!  I got your bow today.  Let me just say that I couldn't be more happy nor could I have picked a bow that I would want anymore.  I've always wanted a recurve.  I just want to say thank you so much for all of your hard work.  This thing is truly awesome.  I wouldn't change a thing.  I love the cord wrapped handle and the finish.  This thing is awesome.  Again thank you so much.  I LOVE it!!!!
Ben

Berea, Kentucky
27" draw
30-70# (though I want to build to 125 one day)