Author Topic: Practicing with foreshafts?  (Read 3069 times)

Shaner

Practicing with foreshafts?
« on: October 21, 2007, 02:02:27 pm »
I am wanting to add some osage foreshafts to my cane arrows. I was just wondering how yall practice with them. I would think if you shot them at a target the forshafts would come off when you pulled the arrows out. Then I was thinking just stump shooting and roving, but would the foreshafts takethat kind of punishment without braking at the joint. I want to make these but they're no good to me if I cant practice with them. Thanks for any suggestions!
Shane

Offline Woodbutcher

Re: Practicing with foreshafts?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 02:35:25 pm »
 Shaner:
 Try blunts of some sort and a heavy cloth, hung up, as an arrow stop. Works for me in the basement.                         Woodbutcher

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 03:10:09 pm »
I generally don't use fore shafts with cane. I just fill the void in the cane with a dowel and taper then and add field points.  I have some practice arrows from Art Butner that have fore shafts but they are permanent. Art tapers the foreshaft to about the same taper as for field points, hollows the cane to match the tapered foreshaft and super glues the foreshaft in. Then he serves around the cane with silk thread soaked with super glue. I have been shooting 2 of these arrows for over 2 years and the fore shafts are still in and the arrows shoot as well as they did the day I got them.
   If you want the fore shafts to come out when they hit, use a sand pile to practice on.       Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Shaner

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 03:23:36 pm »
Thats a good idea, I may make some permanent ones and epoxy them in then wrap with sinew. Also a good idea about hanging the rag to stop the arrows, that shouldn't put them under too much stress. Well thanks thats why I post on here because I know I'll get some good suggestions.
Shane