Author Topic: braided handle for a bow  (Read 5755 times)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
braided handle for a bow
« on: February 06, 2013, 10:18:45 pm »
here are some step by step pics for making this complete braided handle.
I used calfskin lacing for this project.
and you'll need some of those lacing needles(the best are those brass ones where the lacing end is inserted)
some artifical sinew or cord, and i use some black electrical tape (but its not necessary)
here are the first four pics
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline richardzane

Re: braided handle for a bow
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:22:15 pm »
here are the rest:
if you have any questions let me know.
obviously you can use multiple color lacing to get different woven patterns.
it would be nice using rawhide lacing too but i haven't tried that.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 11:34:39 pm »
Nicely done Richard.  I attempted something similar a while back and had been meaning to post it for a while, so I'm glad you brought it up.  I'll just add this picture to show how you can mix things up a bit by using different colors and varying the pattern of the weave.  The possibilities are pretty much only limited by your imagination.  The more strands you use, the more detailed your pattern can be.  The key is to keep everything as tight as possible (which I could have done a better job of below, but this was my first crack at it)

Offline richardzane

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 12:50:16 am »
yeah!  nice job Cameroo!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 01:24:06 am »
those are beautiful guys.  I think that a handle wrap I could make.  I have difficult time getting the leahter tight enough without leaving gaps for my odd shaped handle.  Lacing smaller pieces of leather just might be the ticket. 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:14:17 pm »
I'm going to try this thanks guys :D
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline richardzane

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 09:32:18 pm »
hey Ozzy,
between O5 and 06 should have been a picture showing how i wrapped a cord tightly where those rubber bands just temporarily held the lacings in place.
once the cord is tied tightly then the lacings can be folded down over it and begin braiding(or weaving) back down . it really helps having a mess of those brass lacing needles,
that way you can simply leave a needle on each end. but if not you can always unscrew one and put it on the next weaver down.
When i do it again i won't worry about getting the lacings QUITE as tight together as i did...it was a bear putting in the last two runs!