Author Topic: "Warts and All"  (Read 6684 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: "Warts and All"
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 09:34:42 pm »
That looks like a good one, Pat, even though a frog pee'd all over it. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 12:30:28 am »
TMK, I will build up a shelf on this bow with leather. At the bottom of the handle are 3 thin pieces of wood.
  Oak or vegitable tanned leathers work best but any will work. You can buy the precut show sole replacements from a shoe shop if they still exist or saddle skirting from a saddle shop. They probably have scraps for little or nothing.
  You can saturate the leather with super glue and it will rasp and scrape just like wood.
 I've never used cork but I have seen it used many times.

Thank you for the info, it is much appreciated! Very nice bow too,  ;) Can't wait for the finished pics.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 12:50:33 am »
Pat,
      Nice job coaxing that stave into a bow. Love the character too.
                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 01:01:05 am »
Everyone needs one of this kind of stave in their stable of staves. If you let it, it will teach you a lot about wood, its characteristics and limitations, about wood bows and about yourself. Find the most difficult stave you can imagine and make a bow out of it. Don't worry about the draw weight or how pretty it looks or how long it takes you to make it into a bow but concentrate on what is important in a wood bow; perfect tiller, making both limbs bend evenly and together. Once you learn that, there is not a stave on earth that you won't be able to make a bow from.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 08:26:42 am »
Very nice job Pat,got to love that.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 09:42:14 am »
Good to see ya working on some wood again pat ;) hows that stave master treating your young legs?  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 09:57:08 am »
The Stave Master is the bees knees!   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 10:18:02 am »
I'm loving the way that one looks, so far, Pat. I can't wait to see the finished product. I know your recipient will love it!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline rps3

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 10:30:22 am »
That bow will turn some heads at a 3d shoot. Do you leave the stringing groove on the finished bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 10:35:40 am »
rps, I put the extra string groove in to use as a bow stringer and both grooves on each tip will stay with the bow.

Offline danny f

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 11:15:40 am »
great looking bow. i  love them warts they ad a lot of character.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 11:21:56 am »
Everyone needs one of this kind of stave in their stable of staves. If you let it, it will teach you a lot about wood, its characteristics and limitations, about wood bows and about yourself.

I always learn a lot about myself when working a stave like that. For example, how high my blood pressure is, how much an anger management class could benefit me, how wide and plentiful my vocabulary of curse words is, etc...  ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 02:27:50 pm »
very good job on a real character stave!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Little John

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 10:11:51 pm »
Just too cool Pat, you always make such beautiful bows, can,t wait to see the finished bow.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline lowell

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 10:47:59 pm »
Everyone needs one of this kind of stave in their stable of staves. If you let it, it will teach you a lot about wood, its characteristics and limitations, about wood bows and about yourself. Find the most difficult stave you can imagine and make a bow out of it. Don't worry about the draw weight or how pretty it looks or how long it takes you to make it into a bow but concentrate on what is important in a wood bow; perfect tiller, making both limbs bend evenly and together. Once you learn that, there is not a stave on earth that you won't be able to make a bow from.

Seems the glove has been thrown down :)....makes me want to go out to the shop and reject shed and see what I can find. 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!