Author Topic: Consistent Full Draw Advice?  (Read 10786 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Re: Consistent Full Draw Advice?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 10:06:59 pm »
Everybody seems to need different remedies for target panic. I had it bad for a long time. I tried the hold on target and let down over and over and that helped to control it some. What finally worked for me was this,
I record myself on my cell phone. I press record, wait a few seconds, say "draw." wait several seconds and say, "Shoot."
I recorded four or five of these with different length intervals between the draw and shoot.
Then I press play and the few seconds before my phone says draw allows me to get set. Then I just let my phone tell me when to release. I simply kepp holding and staring at the middle of the target untill my phone tells me to shoot. I record several different length full draw intervals so my brain cannot begin to anticipate when the shoot command is going to come.
Shoot like this for a week straight before trying to shoot without it. It helps your brain disassociate being aiming with releasing. It tells your brain that just because i'm at full draw doen't mean I will release at any time.
I now shoot like this at least 50% of the time and it really keeps my target panic in check. I have tried alot of different methods and this is what continues to work for me.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 08:54:00 am »
No scolding johnston,I like G Fred a lot and have known him a long while,just don't like his style of shooting. It works for some and not for others. Short draw is very easy to get and very hard to break so if you do like Pat said and start off right you will be way better off.For us old codgers it is a constance battle.At least for me. :) Folks say its all mental,so I guess I am mentally weak.  ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline johnston

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 03:08:23 am »
Pappy I guess my whole point is that a "swing draw, or becoming the arrow " or what ever is a place to
glean an impression of what we try to do.To be honest in TBB four ( or 1,2or 3) the chapter by Jim Hamm
with his daughter-in-law coaching gave me more insight than anything I have read.

I know so little but shoot so much that I am now better than I ever thought I would ever be. That ain't great
mind you but I am happy with the progress.

We are suppose to be having fun else why do it. And you feel free to scold me anytime. Pat does.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 09:29:09 pm »
for me thats never been a problem. i always go to the corner of my mouth, just take you TIME, key is time, because if you cant take you time and on each shot slowly draw and hold, then you will have a very hard time breaking this habit. I just take my time sometimes, although i snap them at full draw most of the time, with a good amount of success. tell yourself to draw slowly, over and over again, and hold at your anchor.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 10:51:10 pm »
Pappy I guess my whole point is that a "swing draw, or becoming the arrow " or what ever is a place to
glean an impression of what we try to do.To be honest in TBB four ( or 1,2or 3) the chapter by Jim Hamm
with his daughter-in-law coaching gave me more insight than anything I have read.

I know so little but shoot so much that I am now better than I ever thought I would ever be. That ain't great
mind you but I am happy with the progress.

We are suppose to be having fun else why do it. And you feel free to scold me anytime. Pat does.

I think you are on to something when you talk about how much you are shooting.  For me, accuracy didn't come over night.  I think it takes lots of shooting, no matter what your method.  When the shot got to be muscle memory and I was finally able to just worry about hitting where I was looking - I finally got some confidence.  Lots of well thought out practice was the key for me.   That and developing a consistent, repeatable anchor point has helped my shooting.   I don't hold at full draw for very long at all - but I do make sure that I achieve it.  When it hits the anchor spot on my face I feel it and release.  I cant the bow a little and draw the string with the arrow already pointed where I want to hit.  I am looking at the tiny little middle of where I want to hit before I draw.  Aim small, miss small.  I shoot just about every day,  and usually just a couple dozen shots.  Not arrow flinging, but well thought out, best practice.  You will shoot under pressure exactly like you practice.  If you only know how to shoot with proper attitude and concentration, then you are less likely to miss when it's time to make your shot count.  For me, it is all about hunting.  I am training for the moment to make a clean kill and I evaluate every shot that hits the round bale with "that was a kill" or "that was a miss".  Doggone it,  I love shooting a bow!  Sorry to ramble on.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2013, 04:05:10 pm »
    GET CLOSER FOR NOW, LIGHTEN UP YOUR BOW POUNDAGE. DO WHAT COMES NATURAL. HOLD AT FULL DRAW A SECOND. FORGET ABOUT THE PRESSURE OTHERS ARE PUTTING ON YOU.
                                      START TO ENJOYING SHOOTING AND NOT THINK OF IT AS A CHORE.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PeteC

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 10:53:37 pm »
I guess more folks have this affliction than I thought. I have not brought this up before but it hit me bad this year. I started shooting barebow when I was 6 years old and now I'm 55. I had achieved a very accurate,self learned method of shooting,that has allowed a successful  hunting "career" . I practiced shooting acorns out to 15-20 yards and when I did miss,it was'nt by much. The problem has actually been coming on the last few years,but ,in a hunting situation,my concentration would override any early release. Not so this year. It has gotten so bad  that ,after hitting full draw,my bow arm freezes.When I try to move my arm to point,my release goes off,before I can get to target.There are times I can move the bow arm,but the sub-concious will not let me get dead on target.  It is un-controllable. I can tell myself out loud to hold at anchor while aiming,but release anyway. I have done some studying on "Target Panic"cures,have done the bare bale shooting,with eyes closed, attempted the draw,anchor ,aim,then hold for a few seconds before letting down, but this will only work when I'm a few feet from target. This is very frustrating,and worrisome ,because it feels as if something in my brain has short circuited .I have always been a very confident archer,and want that confidence back again. If any of you has a similar problem,and have made any progress,please share your methods with us. Thanks,and God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 01:15:38 am »
2 words
Back tension
Lock your shoulder blades.
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

FAW

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 10:52:01 am »
Another old guy chiding in here. I have fought target panic for years and I know there is a cure, however after many attempts, lots of arrows, I find the best remedy is to concentrate on form, the target, and the hold ( follow-through). That way I forget about the release and it just happens - sometimes the arrow takes longer to acquire the target and I am able to wait until it is there - other times as mentioned by others the target is acquired and everything looks good right from the start, however, now my subconscious tells me to follow-through which means I have to get to fulldraw. I don't actually realize if there was an anchor or not. I try not to move anything once the arrow releases.