Author Topic: Moisture Meter  (Read 3856 times)

Offline PaulP

Moisture Meter
« on: October 28, 2007, 12:48:51 pm »
As I am new to primitive archery I am trying to gather the needed tools.   Presently I am in search of a moisture meter.  What should I be looking for in the meter I purchase?    Any and all suggestions would be helpful.   

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Moisture Meter
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 01:52:39 pm »
Paul, A moisture meter isn't necessary to build wood bows. I bought one years ago and rarely use it. After you get a few bows under your belt and become a little more familiar with the feel and sounds of the wood you will be able to tell if a stave is dry enough to stress or just reduce and wait for it to dry more. Having a good stock pile of bow wood will keep you from being bored waiting for one stave to dry.
We are coming to the dry part of the season so wood drying will happen quicker and stay dryer than in the summer.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaulP

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 09:45:22 pm »
Thanks; so I really don't need one?

Paul

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 10:59:22 am »
Your money would be better spent on something else.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:06:10 am »
Like Pat and Dana, you really don't need one - don't think them primitive's used em hehe. You can work your staves down quite a bit and just let them cure for awhile in a dry place. If you can find some kind of fairly accurate scale (I use a digital postal scale) and weigh them every few days - when they stop loosing weight - they should be dry.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 01:06:33 pm »
Hi,
Like everyone else said, give it some thought, but if you're set on having a moisture meter, check out Lee Valley Tools. www.leevalley.com. They have a good quality one, and it's about $95.