Author Topic: Tillering Board  (Read 1486 times)

Offline n8tr boy

Tillering Board
« on: February 03, 2013, 06:03:40 pm »
Hey Gang, I have recently started back into recurve/trad archery. I 'm in the middle of making a hickory bow. I have decided on a Molly as I Love the styling and primitive look. My question is how do you make a tillering board to gauge the draw weight you desire at your draw length? I have looked all over the net and can't find it. Maybe not using proper terminology.

The reason I'm also making a Molly ,my son who also is making a bow cut my stave at the nock ends perfect for the Molly and not a standard design if I can use the word "standard" for a trad bow design ;D

Offline bow101

Re: Tillering Board
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 07:15:11 pm »
This is what I use. It's just a 1x2 with grooves cut into it. In the photo showing I think is pulling at 26". For weight I take the tiiler gizmo out of the vise, put a bathroom scale on my bench and place the bow and stick onto the scale and release the string from the stick, pull down to desired lenght and observe the scale reading. But be carefull it could slip off and smack you on top of the head...... :P :P

I have to build a proper gizmo that has the pulleys and a fish scale. Most everyone will tell you that the final tiller is pulling it in front of the camera and/or mirror. Then ya the proof is in the pudding.......sir..!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 08:22:32 pm »
Thanks bow101, so a hard hat would be a good option :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 09:09:40 pm »
No offense to bow101 but I would strongly advocate for a pulley system. they are cheap and easy and more importantly they don't overstress your bow by leaving it drawn for periods of time. even the time it takes to snap a full draw picture can cause damage to your bow. That's my two cents.