Author Topic: hide glue?  (Read 10451 times)

jamie

Re: hide glue?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2007, 07:18:10 pm »
fish glue is very strong and somewhat more repellent of moisture than hide glue. i wouldnt go as far as saying it is waterproof though.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2007, 09:59:19 pm »
Go fishing, and dry the fish bladders, boil glue from them and voila. better glue than hideglue. oh, and it's waterproof also
Fish glue is strong.  It is actually stronger than hide glue if prepared right. It is also finer clearer and less odor than hide glue.  It is also more flexable after drying than other animal glues.  However it is more susceptible to humidity. You can add chemicals to it to make it waterproof, but that can be done to all animal glues.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline TRACY

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2007, 10:17:05 pm »
What was the question again, oh I know. I would try both if you're sincerely interested in making a primitive bow backed with sinew. Then you can decide which one works better for your situation. Good luck
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 10:35:21 pm »
                                I thought this topic was about hide glue ? ;D Guess I was mistaken. Ah beg ta differ, fish glue is not stronger or better glue than hide glue given proper preparation fer both. It is however, like Justin said more susceptible ta humidity and it is not waterproof nor is hide glue unless..ah forget it...........................bob

a finnish native

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 10:48:17 am »
well of course you cant soak the bow in water with fish glue, but at least the fishglue that I made to make period arrows was much more water resistant than hide glue that I  had used on the other arrows. I shot with them in rain, and the hide glue gave up, but the fish did not. no lack or anything, because they were period arrows.

Offline adb

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 04:16:24 pm »
Hi,
I have used Titebond liquid hide glue, with great sucess, for gluing on snakeskin and rawhide backings. I have also made and used my own, both from animal and fish sources. They all work well, and are very strong. I wouldn't, however, trust any of their waterproof abilities. Much safer to go with TB2 or TB3. From a practical stand point, it's sure a lot easier to use the prepared liquid hide glue than boiling up your own! Your family will probably appreciate not stinking up the house, either!

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2007, 04:19:57 pm »
Hi,
Oh yah, I forgot to mention... give hide glue (any hide glue) a lonnnnngggg time to dry and set. We're talking days. Last SS hide glue up took a week to completely set hard. The other nice thing about hide glue, you can clean it up with water, even after extended drying time, and you have lots of time to fiddle while you're working with it. Set up time is very extended.

Also, maybe you guys could stop with the pissing contest about who's done more, or sold more, or knows more. I don't think that's what this is all about. There are always people who know more than you, and there are also people who know less. So... you can always teach, and always learn... if you're willing.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:25:25 pm by adb3112 »

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2007, 05:16:55 pm »
    The original thread question was "should I use dry er liquid I can buy. Which ?" Its not about fish glue or tbb2 or 3 adb3112.  Wanna address the question ? Even I ranged off topic with the fish glue BUT its about hide glue dry er liquid.......bob

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 12:47:50 am »
Dry for me as well.....though I dont use it often

Offline IONIAN

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 03:22:39 pm »
  Knox.........nuff said! ;D
"aim small, miss small"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 11:17:43 pm »
         Both,They work the same for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

hunterman

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2007, 08:06:20 pm »
jesus, u guyz got pretty worked up ;D

i'll just try the liquid and see if it works. if it doesnt, ill remove the sinew and use dry.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2007, 08:14:48 pm »
jesus, u guyz got pretty worked up ;D

i'll just try the liquid and see if it works. if it doesnt, ill remove the sinew and use dry.

You aint seen worked up yet. Just wait untill we really disagree on something.  >:D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2007, 11:38:35 pm »
  Worked up,Not yet,  ;D,,,,Okay ;what kind of fish bladders are better than bottle glue finnish native? Huh,huh? Yea,see,that's what I thought. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Trapper

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2007, 04:49:14 pm »
The point I was trying too make is , if you dont apply and do it right neither will work right. Thats nuff said.     Trap