Author Topic: Broadhead orientation  (Read 2604 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

Broadhead orientation
« on: February 08, 2013, 02:13:09 pm »
I was recently re reading TBB vol 4 - and, I think in the chapter on flight shooting, the author mentioned that he would orient his broad heads (2 blade) horizontally, claiming that this orientation reduces the drag or wind resistance more (than if it were vertical) during the period of time when the arrow is first leaving the bow when it does not rotate - when it is bending around the riser . . .  when the flat side of the BH could act like a sail . . . .     

Anyway, I don't flight shoot and realize that the "drag" there is much more of a factor to contend with than when shooting 20 yards, but I had always oriented my BH vertically thinking that it really does not matter much re arrow flight and since I feel my aim is better in that orientation . . . .  I went with it. 

What do all you guys do and do you really think it matters for the average hunter / target shooter - - not flight shooting. 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.     

Russ

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Broadhead orientation
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 02:53:57 pm »
RBLusthaus,
                  I set all my points up like this or maybe around 20 to 30 degrees to allow for my canting. I do gap shoot when I hunt and practice and at 20yds. with my set up I use the very top of my point as a sight. Never caused any issues with my heavy set up, no wind plain. At 20 it's on and at 10 I'm around 3 inches high and aim for the lower hair line.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:57:54 pm by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »
For stone and trade points I cut the initial slot vertical. I do the nock and point slot at the same time and both cut the same. No particular reason that I can think of.  For glue-on points I mount them so the arrow spins true. However that works out.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 04:33:36 pm »
I also do mine up and down rather than sideways , unless I forget to look then its however they end up !!!  ;)
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 05:50:21 pm »
  I only build and shoot hunting bows and arrows.
  I always put my heads horizonal gives you a better sight picture of your target.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 07:31:43 pm »
Dont have a choice but to go up and down with trade points or stone. They have to the bisect the grain for strength and split outs. Glue on's I leave wherever they spin true.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 10:24:28 am »
  PEARL went I first started the first couple years I did the same. On dowls and later on shoots. But did'nt like the head in my view in my aiming vision. I've shot bows clear up to 72 pounds and never had a nock or head split the shaft. As long as you sinew rap them they'll be fine. At least my has always been.
  Same with putting the stiff side towands the bow. I don't worry about that anymore either. Never had a arrow break. If you start out with a #1 shoot no defects no limbs come into the shaft the don't splinter or break. At least I've never had one break.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 12:44:45 pm »
Thanks guys.