Author Topic: Question about fish skins  (Read 1127 times)

Offline ssgtchad

Question about fish skins
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:11:10 pm »
Quick question, is salmon skin tough enough to back a bow by itself? Looking at backing a 51" osage r/d as close to a  28" draw as possible.  Thanks forbthe advise.
Always learning something new.

Offline seabass

Re: Question about fish skins
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 05:19:30 pm »
i am no expert,but i think fish skin is mostly for decoration.it works great over sinew.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:27:23 pm »
Actually most fish skins are thick enough to add some protection.  Sturgeon is very strong as are most bottom fish, like ling cod, halibut, and even eels.  Salmon is not as thick but should offer at least a little protection.

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:38:07 pm »
you are the expert Keenan.i just thought salmon skin wasn't strong enough for a 51" bow pulled to 28"shows you what i know(not much).good luck brother.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 06:59:29 pm »
Thanks guys. The skins are very thin, and that's why I asked,  gonna have re valuate
Always learning something new.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 07:00:44 pm »
Steve thank you for the correction. I did not notice the draw length and bow length data. 

Ssgtchad.  A 28' draw for a 51 inch bow is really pushing it. I'm not sure you would even get that safely if it was sinewed.  General rule of thumb is twice your draw length for a minimun length on the bow and that is if it is a total bend through the handle. An R?D profile will help be that is still asking allot from the wood and no skins are going to hold it together alone for that draw.  Hope that helps