Author Topic: Sinew or Tendon  (Read 3439 times)

Offline n8tr boy

Sinew or Tendon
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:55:25 pm »
I am currently skinning deer hocks and have the tendons available. What is the process for curing and using them? Are they also called Sinew or what is that in particular?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sinew or Tendon
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:16:08 pm »
Sinew is tendons, either the lower leg tendons or the back strap tendons are what we use mostly. To cure them just lay them out of a flat dry surface(I use either aluminum foil or wax paper), out of the reach of animals and in a few days they will change from a whitish color to a transparent golden color. Once well dried I store them in ziplock baggie until time to process into sinew strands.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 06:30:32 pm »
Sweet Thanks. I have no pets so that shouldn't be a problem. Is there any processing to them or do you use them as is?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 06:57:20 pm »
The leg sinew is bundled in a sheath. You pound the sinew until the sheath seperates and remove and discard that. Then peel off small bundles of sinews about the size of a pencil lead or finer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 07:32:02 pm »
Great Thanks Pat

Offline primitivepaulette

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 09:55:24 pm »
I have a friend that does them and likes to use glass to dry them out on.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 12:06:16 am »
Also, save all your scraps and the discarded sheaths. You can make hide glue with them.

Offline n8tr boy

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 07:43:12 am »
Thanks all for these useful tips. What is the process in making glue? What are the uses for the glue?

Offline primitivepaulette

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 09:58:08 am »
"What is the process in making glue? What are the uses for the glue?"

Sounds like a great topic for another thread to me! I know I sure mess with a lot of glue with the hides hocks legs SKINS.. and I don't ever use this glue!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 10:20:17 am »
Look for "How to Make Hide Glue"on page 2 of the "How To" section about 2/3 the way down.