Author Topic: B50... why on earth do you guys use it?  (Read 46814 times)

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
Re: B50... why on earth do you guys use it?
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 01:08:00 am »
is that stinging nettle? it looks really similar to my "Burlap Sack" jute strings :) looks heavy with that diameter, but ive been mistaken before. is it similar to dogbane? you have me interested, and theres a huge patch of nettles practically in my back yard... :)
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2013, 03:40:18 am »
What's not high tech about B-50? It's just as high tech as FF it's just not as good at doing it's job.

Zackly   ;D
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2013, 08:59:12 am »
I have used both fast flight and dacron strings for years. I admit the fast flight strings have a little more snap, but not enough difference to worry about after the dacron has been shot in and fully stretched. I have much more dacron in inventory than fast flight and in more color variations, so I imagine I will be using it for a while, yet.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:21 am »
I like fast flight and also b50 if like Eric said they are made right with very little twist,both will do a good job, [ SO that is why on earth I use it.] That's like asking me why I am making a bow for Hickory or Persimion when I have plenty of Osage and Yew, cause I want to is the main reason. :o  Enough said. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 09:36:57 am »
 ;)I use 8 strand ultra cam strings from show me strings. He makes my final strings when the bow is done. Yall can use whatever you want. 8) b50 is cheaper... That's all it has over high performance material. High performance string IS better.  I know one reason you old timers use it... Stubborn crotcheness and generally crabby towards anything new. >:D. "in my day we didn't have fancy string material! We'd use the rope we used to hold our britches up and weeeee loved it!" Kinda attitude. Keep telling yourselves its just as good. That makes it true. LOL

Use what makes you happy. That's just more high performance material for me. ;)
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline iowabow

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 09:42:20 am »
I am rather new but the primitive strings i make are very valuable to me do to the labor. I dont really do a lot of target shooting with them. So if I want to do a lot of shooting I use the b50 then if I want practice for hunting the milkweed I use thee deer hide because it is easier to make and is the same gain wt.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 10:34:32 am »
Toomany, has a point. Don't go unloading on the man. This is supposed to be a primitive archery forum. Frankly, I always  felt a little "guilty" about using a synthetic string on one of my selfies. That's just me and him apparently and may be a few others. Linen is natural. It's natural to use on a wooden bow. I try to keep my bows simple. I don't even use overlays because the ancients didn't use them. I just haven't been able to make the switch to any other string material than B 50. Last year I decided to try FF for at least the initial stringing and  tillering. Now, I've never had a nock split while stinging a bow. Never happened in 24 years of making bows. I mean never. Guess what. Darn FF split my nock on my red oak log stave bow. I am being dramatic because someone is sure to say, "Well, Jawge, you  know you had a weak spot there and the nock was gong to split anyway. It's not the string's fault." I fixed it with an overlay. So much for my foray into 20th Century bow making. Time to take another step back in time where I belong. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 11:08:28 am »
Excellent point George.  We all draw the line somewhere.  My line is out in front of some, and far behind others, but it is a line of my own choosing, nothing more or less.  I've used about every sting imaginable at some point.  Love using sinew strings for my Indian bows, don't care to hunt with 'em.  I cross the line on "natural material" with my strings....because I choose to. :)
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 11:13:43 am »
is that stinging nettle? it looks really similar to my "Burlap Sack" jute strings :) looks heavy with that diameter, but ive been mistaken before. is it similar to dogbane? you have me interested, and theres a huge patch of nettles practically in my back yard... :)

Yes it is stinging nettle, I believe it is the wood nettle type. Could be wrong though. It does look huge, and it is probably over built, but it worked for the 50# bow I used it with. And it is air light when comparing it to a b50 string meant for a 50# bow. A linen string is always alot lighter too. I didn't wax the string at all though, as I typically wax the strands but I was afraid I would break the threads I spun... I am not the best at spinning thread, I will tell you that! 

I like fast flight and also b50 if like Eric said they are made right with very little twist,both will do a good job, [ SO that is why on earth I use it.] That's like asking me why I am making a bow for Hickory or Persimion when I have plenty of Osage and Yew, cause I want to is the main reason. :o  Enough said. :)
   Pappy

lol,  ;D I always thought when people twisted their flemish strings only slightly, it was because they didn't wanna reverse twist em all together because of the time it takes, not for performance. If that was the case, why not just use one bundle and only twist slightly and wax? Well I guess next time I make a b50 string, i'll just make one bundle, slightly twisted.

Toomany, has a point. Don't go unloading on the man. This is supposed to be a primitive archery forum. Frankly, I always  felt a little "guilty" about using a synthetic string on one of my selfies. That's just me and him apparently and may be a few others. Linen is natural. It's natural to use on a wooden bow. I try to keep my bows simple. I don't even use overlays because the ancients didn't use them. I just haven't been able to make the switch to any other string material than B 50. Last year I decided to try FF for at least the initial stringing and  tillering. Now, I've never had a nock split while stinging a bow. Never happened in 24 years of making bows. I mean never. Guess what. Darn FF split my nock on my red oak log stave bow. I am being dramatic because someone is sure to say, "Well, Jawge, you  know you had a weak spot there and the nock was gong to split anyway. It's not the string's fault." I fixed it with an overlay. So much for my foray into 20th Century bow making. Time to take another step back in time where I belong. :) Jawge

True, true. Honestly though, I really don't have a problem using anything high tech, or anything at all for that matter, as long as it works. Linen works great, and I guess I just like it. Although, the fact it is traditional does kinda satisfy something inside me, truthfully. (Ok, I admit, it makes my bows feel more traditional, and I like that.  :) But I ain't gonna nock anything for being high tech either.) It really looks sharp on a longbow, or even a warbow. Yes, I said warbow.  :) I make it in 3 ply anymore, and the strings are round and comfortable to shoot by hand without whipping or a tab/glove. I've had problems with hitch knots wearing down and breaking with 2 plys, so I always use 2 loops with 2 ply, but 3 plys seem to be more round and compact, and work just fine with hitch knots. If I couldn't get linen, I would probably use d97.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:18:08 am by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 11:22:53 am »
I agree, Slimbob. Lines in the sand are personal. When I go to the beach I draw them all the time.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2013, 11:30:31 am »
In relation to breaking strength of B-50; every time I did a break test on my bow scale my B-50 would break at 48-50#, exactly what is stated in their specs. That said, I have bought spools that looked different, with knots to piece tag ends together, some with obviously thins spots in the thread, just overall inconsistency. I have never bought a spool of DF-97 that wasn't perfect.

Pappy nailed it, use what you want to and don't concern yourself about what others tell you you aught to be using.   

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2013, 11:44:27 am »
Yep,well said SLIMBOB/Jawges/Eric. Heck I even use a band saw and super glue. ;) :D :D I have some linen,just never bothered to twist it up,always heard it worked great but wasn't as durable,so as bad as I hate to make strings I went with what I thought was the most durable. Do the same with bows,I go for durable not some much for fast. That's my line and I sticking to it  ??? Well until I draw another. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Roy

« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 12:02:35 pm »
Oh Pappy!!! You use a band saw? Say it isn't so.. LOL

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2013, 12:06:15 pm »
Oh Pappy!!! You use a band saw? Say it isn't so.. LOL

Speaking of that, I am about to pick me an old 12" craftsman bandsaw from craigslist today or tomorrow. Anything I should look for when buying? I am a bandsaw virgin basically. This is the saw I plan to buy: http://dayton.craigslist.org/grd/3483374412.html
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 12:09:56 pm »
You know the older I get the more I think about buying a bow grade  bandsaw. I think about it but never do it. Now with bow making on the shelf because of spinal issues I may just do it. Jawge
Set Happens!