Author Topic: B50... why on earth do you guys use it?  (Read 45997 times)

Online sleek

Re: B50... why on earth do you guys use it?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 01:39:44 pm »
I use spectra, almost Zero stretch, and only when you first make the string does it stretch a bit, then it wont any more. And it is sooooo cheap..... light weight, no waxing or anything. I love this stuff.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 01:47:26 pm »
I use only hand harvested cat gut, from local cats.   ;D

We are soooooo spoiled in the string department.  Making a couple nettle, hemp, linen or sinew strings... from scratch is a pain in the tuckas.

B50 is easy street, and I don't doubt that FF is even sweeter.  I guess what ever makes your arrows go flying off in the right direction, as fast as you'd like em to, is what you should use.

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 01:48:52 pm »
Couple of things; a properly made B-50 sting won't be as stretchy as you indicate, might take a look at the way you make strings.

Knew that was gonna be the first thing someone said.  ::) I beg to differ.

I use FF exclusively on heavier weight bows above 50#. With my warbows, I can't even brace them with B50.

I made a b50 string for a 110# @ 32" bow once, 24 strands was what was recommended by a guy on paleoplanet as overbuilding supposedly will keep the stretch down. Stringing it was ridiculous. Drawing it was a joke. Shooting it was even worse. I use b50 when in a bind, but I am just done with it anymore. I can't see using it when I can walk down to the river and make a better performing string out of the weeds (nettle),  >:D. Just had to get that off my chest this morning, sorry if I ruffled any feathers,  8).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline RyanY

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 01:59:01 pm »
Can't say I've had any problems with B-50. Maybe a little bit of stretch with a new string but nothing after that. I've even used it on warbows of up to 120#'s. I make my strings in a flemmish twist style.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 02:20:37 pm »
Also, I usually make the string a bit longer and use it to tiller the bow from start, that way I have less stretch when bracing later.
Don't shoot!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 02:30:43 pm »
I hunted milkweed and b50 all winter. The how to is in this months issue. Works great!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 02:53:38 pm »
John, I just got my new magazine a few days ago but haven't read through it yet. I saw your article and dog eared the corner of the first page to come back to later.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 02:57:08 pm »
Like I said, "look at the way you make strings", 24 strands, thats a rope, 14 would have been adequate but I would have gone with 16 just to be on the safe side.

I have made a whole bunch of bows, at least 150 and probably 10 times that many strings for myself and friends.

I have supplied the bows for most of the top selfbow tournament shooters in a three state area around where I live so I know bows and well as strings.

Some of the people who shoot my bows prefer B-50, most shoot DF-97. I have one personal bow that hates B-50 and one that loves it.

Your bad experiences with B-50 all come back to the way you make strings and what you put them on.

Mr. Pearl, where do you get DF-97 for 18 bucks? I have never found it for less than $27 for 1/4# spool.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 03:00:45 pm »
John, I also marked that article for the next chance I have to sit and read.  I like the idea of natural materials, and have made a couple sinew strings, played around with nettle, and made several linen strings.  But like Gabe said they are a lot of work.

As far as modern materials, I used B-50 for the longest time because that is what we used.  Finally tried fast flight last summer.  Bought a spool and never looked back.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Online sleek

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 03:04:20 pm »
Guys, you are all missing out on probably the best string material out there. I don't know why, but everytime I mention spectra, I get ignored. It only cost 7 bucks for a spool, needs no waxin, is very abrasion resistant, self lubricating, light weight, super thin, and after the innitial stretch, won't stretch any more. And its super easy to get.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 03:28:44 pm »
Guys, you are all missing out on probably the best string material out there. I don't know why, but everytime I mention spectra, I get ignored. It only cost 7 bucks for a spool, needs no waxin, is very abrasion resistant, self lubricating, light weight, super thin, and after the innitial stretch, won't stretch any more. And its super easy to get.

Sleek I remember a thread last year on Paleo Planet where everybody was trying to figure out why your strings broke. I believe the conclusion was made that fishing line isnt bow material. Correct me if Im wrong.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 03:34:20 pm »

Mr. Pearl, where do you get DF-97 for 18 bucks? I have never found it for less than $27 for 1/4# spool.

Eric the last two rolls came from Larry at Lost Nation, they were archery show prices. Most any vendors will have sales at shows, thats when I jump on it. I think 3 Rivers is under $27 a spool. Honestly, even if it costs me $25 a year more to use it, I would. I have made hundred and hundreds of strings now, I started in the mid 90's and even supplied a sporting goods store. I hope I have it figured out by now and that my taste for fast flight isnt a result of not knowing how to make a good string from B50.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline avcase

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 03:46:53 pm »
Adoption of lower stretch string material has been gradual but steady. I started out 10 years ago with a spool of B50. I switched almost immediately to the low-stretch material due to the rubbery feel of B50. Later on, I spent a lot of time working with linen strings (for flight bows) and quickly realized a great linen string performs more like fast flight than B50.

The only good use I've found for my old B50 spool is as a binding to clamp wood laminations together.

One more bit of info. I've found that the common quoted breaking strength for B50 is about double reality.  I measured several spools and come up with 24-26 lb. 

Alan

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 03:48:24 pm »
Its cheap, readily availible, and easy to use.

I can get a spool from my local archery story for $7 and get at least half dozen (maybe up to a dozen with short bows  ;) ) strings.

My strings are simply reverse twisted (pretty close to flemish).

Buying a FF string is around $10 and even though that's affordable, it just doesn't feel right to spend more on the string than it cost to make the bow.  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Online sleek

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 03:59:21 pm »
Pearl, the string broke because I had been making them too thin, without enough threads. I had been miscalculating, making them only 6 stands instead of 8 to 10. I have since fixed that problem and have had no problems with my strings since.

Scott, I was not aware of that fact at all. I use Zebco braided line at 7 dollars for a 110 yard spool of 50 lb test. Get it at walmart. Thanks for the info...