Author Topic: "Bow Show"  (Read 1834 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

"Bow Show"
« on: January 31, 2013, 02:52:19 am »
So i was thinking about all those people that are either choosing not to join the bow trade or who don't qualify for the 2013 bow trade. Many may feel left out. So instead of being committed to the bow trade, maybe we could run a "bow show" parallel to the bow trade. My thoughts were that people would work on bows as if they were going to trade it. but instead of trading, they would be showing their bow. This way there's no pressure to finish early, and if you make a mistake you aren't going to suffer time loss, instead you would be able to post it on here and learn what went wrong and try again. And for those bows that make it, maybe your peers can offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.  That way people will be gaining experience and have a better likelihood of joining the bow trade next year. Once again, not a bow trade just practice, and a thread to enjoy the the company of others. What do you guys say? Shall we have a Bow Show?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: "Bow Show"
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 09:10:20 am »
Sure, I'm in. I just started a BL Molly build. I haven't been a member long enough to join the trade and this idea will help keep me motivated. As a beginner, I'm a little intimidated.
Here is a knot in the middle of one limb. With a Molly design with short working limbs, there will be a lot of pressure on it. Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 09:25:21 am by Gsulfridge »
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 11:21:11 am »
That should be an interesting build  :) Ill begin one shortly. As you said, this is meant to include those who wont be joining, and it will help you keep motivated

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:02:14 pm »
this could be interesting. I got a hickory stave that's screaming molly but haven't had time. To many other projects on the go. But this might getter kick started.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:11:13 pm »
Sounds like it would be fun! i have a hickory i will have to turn into a molle if i want to see it live. Its tip is broken, so im going to cut them off and splice a tip in. I might do that bow for this show.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:38:24 pm »
isn't this what we do here every day?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:44:46 pm »
true, however, the idea behind this is to work on a bow as if you were going to give it away, but you would keep it, also it gives a sense of belonging to those who aren't in the bow trade. It also give people motivation to keep going because there's a goal set in front of them. I guess i didn't really state that you basically set a bow goal for yourself and you go for it. Not sure if im making sense, just the way i see it, if people are stating that they have a bow they want to do and are starting, they've let the cat out of the bag, and hopefully that will encourage them to finish the bow. Also, anybody who chooses to participate would feel "involved" in something, not sure if im making sense or just confusing myself and others more

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 02:08:54 am »
so today i was working on my showoff bow. As i said before, i had to splice in tips. So i got the v splice ready on the hickory stave, but the tips as i was working on them broke, i steamed them for 1 hr and 15 mins. I think my mistake was that i handnt thinned the tips to their rough shape before steaming, i might have another go because they were really long so i just need to thin them up. They were about 7/8ths inch thick and about an inch across(probably a problem, they were also still squares. But either way, i started by heat treating the belly before i plan to splice in the tips. I will give it another go tomorrow, also, the recurves were rather sharp, basically 90 degrees over about 3-5 inches.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 02:53:53 am »
I think what you should do here, or maybe in another thread or in the build-a-long forum is, as a newby, do a build a long.  Show the stages of your build and then post pics of the decisions that you made to chose this or that stave, then this or that layout of the bow, then roughing it out, tillering, etc. 
Let other people then comment on each stage and give advice or correction her on PA.  So it would be like you had someone there guiding you.  It would make for slower progress as you would have to take pics and comment everyday that you worked on it but you're bound to have success and learn much more.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:23:55 am by steve b. »

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 03:01:37 am »
thats true.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 03:02:41 am »
That sounds like a good idea Steve b.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 03:04:54 am »
if we are going to do that, there should be a thread to connect the build a longs people are doing so that they can be viewed from one central hub.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 03:26:43 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by that muffin.  I would just tell the moderators what you want to do and let them set you up.
There's bound to be certain experienced bowyers that would visit your thread regularly and chime in. 
Just leave yourself open to advice from others.