Author Topic: osage pics  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Lakota

osage pics
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:46:27 pm »
Does anyone have pics of a young osage tree maybe one or two yrs old, think I might have found a bunch along a local creek.Thanks for any help, and much appreciated. I need help to identify, has huge green thornes and slick bark.
Lakota
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:29:25 pm by Lakota »

Offline Newindian

Re: osage pics
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:15:29 pm »
Osage doesn't have slick bark, do a Google search
I like free stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:02:22 am »
This one is 3 or 4 years old. I just took this pic a few days ago. It is staked and lower limbs have been trimmed so it isn't as it would be in nature.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:46:47 am »
Scott, the topic starter is asking for young osage saplings, not big trees. Hence, that topic is pretty useless for him, although it has really nice pictures :)

An osage sapling is best identified by its leaves. In winter, you need to identify based on the twigs and buds, which can be really difficult. Here are a few pictures taken from the internet of osage branches with good identification characteristics. A picture of an entire osage tree is useless to ID a young sapling in winter. Focus on the young bark, leaves, spines and buds.

"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 11:01:30 am »
Pats pic is right on. My buddy has 130 acres of the stuff and Im hear to tell you it looks JUST like that as a youngster. You can see that hue the bark has to it, it glows in my eyes!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lakota

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:51:42 pm »
Thanks to everyone who posted pics and any other links, I guess what I have found is something else, thought I had found a gold mine.

Lakota