Author Topic: Latest bow  (Read 3369 times)

Offline Sasquatch

Re: Latest bow
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 11:41:08 am »
Sorry man,  my advise is to make sure the back is one ring and then smooth all cuts and nicks before tillering.  Tiller slow and give plenty of time for working the wood into a bend. Good luck on next one.   

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 11:42:19 am »
If you your tree had slick bark and no thorns it isn't honey locust. Every honey locust on the face of the earth looks like this.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 11:54:54 am »
I'll take a pic of the tree at work today and maybe y'all can tell me what it is.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 11:56:55 am »
Stick with black locust if you can. Paul Comstock believes Honey is inferior compared? That is one mans opinion.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 12:54:36 pm »
and to think my parents have over 30 to 50 staves worth of BL but wont let me have any  :'(
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 04:47:17 pm »
I know there is a cultivar that has no thorns.

Gleditsia triacanthos inermis.  Just looked it up.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:53:11 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bow101

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 07:31:53 pm »
In the second pic just to the right of the grip. What do you mean scraped in all the wrong places

Lol just kidding. kind of like that old song,  "looking for love in all the wrong places."
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bcbull

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 07:48:47 pm »
id suggest  you get a hickory make that or bettr a good ol osage ,,blk locust takes a lota learning the wod is the teacher with blk locust you learn to tiller  blk locust u got it made personally i hate the stuff brock

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 07:52:27 pm »
There are a lot of honey locust trees that don't have any thorns, they're actually pretty common around me.

Same here, but I dont believe its honey. More of a hybrid city sidewalk tree of sorts.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 09:51:24 pm »
Matt if you are ever up this way I have some staves that I could probably trade.  Dont you guys have juniper down there?

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 10:39:13 pm »
We do have a lot of juniper and I have made a few bows out of the stuff.  I just didn't get to harvest any this year...so far anyway.  And it is a city sidewalk tree got it out of a parking lot from an arborist doing some tree trimming.  Thought it would be fun to make some bows out of the stuff because it was free bot on labor and money.  I have made one bow that worked out of this stuff bit it was nothing to write home about.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 11:37:28 am »
You all are right and I put out some bad info, there is a thrornless honey locust,Gleditsia triacanthos inermis, my mistake.

Botanic Name Gleditsia triacanthos L. Synonym The genus name has also been ... of wild trees usually bear branching thorns, but a thornless form (f . inermis Schneid.) ... Honeylocust has strong and durable wood of specific gravity 0.70- 0.80.

Pretty high specific gravity, should make a good bow.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 10:45:31 pm »
I made a shooter from honey locust, but I overbuilt it and backed it with linen.  I stayed two inches wide over 60% of the length, 4 inch handle, and 66" long - sort of like Del described.  It should make a good bow, if you find the right tree - I found it to be a very finicky species.  All that said, the bow has had hundreds of arrows shot from it and took very little set.   You could probably wrap that splinter real tight with some B-50 and super glue and probably have a bow that would last you a long time.  Your tiller looks good.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi