Author Topic: Your thoughts on a Black walnut bow  (Read 2021 times)

Offline hunterbob

Your thoughts on a Black walnut bow
« on: January 27, 2013, 06:54:12 pm »
    I have a 60 or 62 inch all white wood black walnut bow roughed out with just the handle heart wood  . it is going to be a bend thru the handle bow. Your thoughts on what you guys think this bow would shoot like ? or since it is all white wood it will be like shooting a noodle. and your thoughts on if you think sinew would help the bow.

blackhawk

Re: Your thoughts on a Black walnut bow
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 07:18:58 pm »
You know what I think bob.......BURN THAT JUNK!!!!!!  >:D.   If you don't I know  where you live and ill do you a favor,and ill go take it and burn it myself for you >:D

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:25:08 pm »
it will work, all sapwood may take a little more set but heat may help it out, you know sinew will, I think gus made several check out his posts
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:32:25 pm »
My GUESS is it acts like hackberry.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:28:01 pm »
Blackhawk I knew what your thoughts were . lol.
Buddy I will do a search.thanks.
And never worked anything but hedge and black locust and some hickory

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:55:20 am »
It will work fine,just split out 7 staves Saturday.Keep it dry like most other white/sap wood bows and it will do ok. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 10:22:32 am »
I think you will be fine. The last one I made was two inches longer but I had a non bending handle. Mine took an inch and a half of set and shot pretty well. It was 45@26ut drew out to 28.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 12:01:19 pm »
I'm working on one right now that is 62" NTN all white wood except for the handle. Also going to bend in the handle. Currently drawing 50#@20. No noticeable set now though that may change as I progress. Bottom limb is 1" shorter and slightly stronger but no concern at the moment.
I'm planning on removing some of the depth leading to the nocks and going to start working on getting the handle to bend shortly before I complete tillering.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline rkeltner

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 03:32:00 pm »
i've made a couple of b.w. sapwood bows, and while they tend to take more set than i care for, they are light weight, sweet shooting bows