Author Topic: My Ambush Bow  (Read 3806 times)

Offline adb

My Ambush Bow
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:01:34 pm »
This would be my submission for ambush bow. No nonsense pure hunting bow, short OAL, heavy enough draw weight to hunt anything, able to be braced for long periods without losing cast, and nicely balanced. Able to cast a heavy (for draw weight) arrow, with authority. I think those were the categories?

Hickory backed osage (sorry Ryan, but I wouldn't make a bow like this out of anything else!), WDB skins for natural camo, self nocks (simple and nothing to break or fall off), self riser (again, nothing to pop off), narrow profile, 60" NTN.

This was a rework and retiller of an existing bow. I look forward to taking it into the field this fall. 650 grams weight (with skins).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 04:05:27 pm by adb »

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: My Ambush Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 04:04:28 pm »
That's how you do it!  ;)  Nice one Adam.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 04:12:50 pm »
 Great looking bow. I bet it would test out well.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 06:32:12 pm »
Thats a fine hunting bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:56:35 pm »
Nice work adb. As you say, simple yet effective :) I like it. Looks like its a fast shooter with that osage in there. Thank you for the inspiration, now I want to make myself and "ambush bow" Ill make one soon I have a piece of osage waiting for me to lay a too on it. :)
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline DGF

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:41:07 pm »
I really like the "ambush bow" idea, and this one hits the nail on the head. Looks like a great no-nonsense hunting bow, but is still an eye pleaser with attention to detail as shown with the skin placment and grip.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 09:04:44 pm »
Dang! 2" over the required ambush bow length. Still a good looking bow though. Is limb length asymmetric? Also it looks like you cut through the back of the bow for the string grooves. Not something you worry about with a hickory backed bow? What's the poundage and draw length?

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 09:42:13 pm »
Dang! 2" over the required ambush bow length. Still a good looking bow though. Is limb length asymmetric? Also it looks like you cut through the back of the bow for the string grooves. Not something you worry about with a hickory backed bow? What's the poundage and draw length?
[/quote

Sorry! It's 62#@27" (my draw length) and I tillered it out to 28", where it's 65#. I wondered about the OAL. I couldn't remember what it was. Ooops. Close!
It looks like I cut through the backing for the nocks, but I didn't. There is still just a bit of backing wood in the valley of the nock. And yes, the limb length is asymmetric, with the balance point of the bow at the arrow pass, not in the middle of the grip.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:51:23 pm by adb »

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 10:16:14 pm »
That'll hunt well no doubt about it. Great bow!
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 10:18:33 pm »
I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that! especially if you were making that face at me. Jokes aside that's a really nice little bow there, I'd certainly take it hunting. You make great bows, adb.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 10:32:30 pm »
I was wondering when somebody was gonna comment about the grimace! I forgot to put my shooting glove on, and when my wife was taking the picture at full draw, the camera was taking its sweet time to focus! I thought my fingers where going to explode!

Offline Weylin

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 10:38:22 pm »
Heh, I've been there. "take the picture already!! I thought you said you were ready."

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 11:03:10 pm »
Sweet job, Adam. That one should bring home some meat!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:19:04 pm »
Well done! That would definitely fit the ambush bow category from the Bowyers Journal (r.i.p).

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 06:25:23 am »
fantastic job.that i a great looking bow.
Middletown,Ohio