Author Topic: Need more wood, Live Oak?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
Need more wood, Live Oak?
« on: January 25, 2013, 09:26:37 pm »
I need to get more wood started drying. I've been unsuccessful in finding any info on live oak thru the search here. I have a lot of large old live oaks that need some trimming and I've spied several large limbs that I think would make some great staves. But, I'd like to hear from you all before I cut, on anything that I need to know about live oak in prep for drying thru laying out a stave. Thanks in advance.
    Graylan

blackhawk

Re: Need more wood, Live Oak?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:34:26 pm »
Its really dense wood..as dense or denser than osage ...and it will make a fine bow..although I haven't used it personally...not a whole lotta folks use it and cut it because its such a landmark tree in the south

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:51:49 pm »
The Live Oaks on Amelia Island are beautiful.  I don't think I could cut those to make a bow.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:10:33 pm »
My grandfather was from pioneer family and he had a small yew longbow.  I told him I was starting to make bows years back and he said if I couldn't find Yew, to try Live Oak.  I know all the other oaks will make a bow, and I was under the impression that live oak was either white or black...not sure what the actual name of 'live' oak is.  Is it an actual species name or just a pseudonym?  Hopefully some other chaps with more experience will chime in!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 10:19:03 pm »
Quercus Virginiana.  Southern Live Oak.

There is some disagreement on whether it is part of the White Oak family or a distinct species unto itself.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:31:29 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:31:29 pm »
Well I'm only triming limbs that have to be trimmed and what I don't use for bows I use for fire wood. I've only seen it mention a few times as a great bow wood. I think I can get a few snakey staves along with several natural R/D. Any design suggestions?

Offline kid bow

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:32:48 pm »
my friend made one from live oak. he told me it was a dense ringed brittle wood. but it is possible to make a very good bow from this wood. if you do make a bow please share it on here i would love to see what you make of it
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 12:39:34 am »
Pretty common in California but din't know if it's the same a southern Live Oak but it's still called California Live Oak ??? The way it grows here you could prune for staves and not kill the tree.

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 06:55:39 am »
yea very common in Cal. I don't know about it being brittle tho I've split tons of the stuff and it can be a bear
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 10:30:03 am »
I have heard it works very similar to osage. I have two large live oaks in my son's back yard. It has huge limbs that have grown over the house and need to be cut. There are a lot of staves in those limbs which will be cut this summer. I can't wait... :P
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA