Author Topic: bopper building?  (Read 1759 times)

Offline hedgeapple

bopper building?
« on: January 26, 2013, 02:08:39 pm »
I just disassemble an old tower type computer for recycling and found a 1" long by 1' dia. piece of solid copper.  How would I go about turning this into a bopper?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline bubby

Re: bopper building?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 03:58:11 pm »
my dad in law domed mine on his lathe, took a couple a min., Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 05:30:11 pm »
How should I mount it to a handle, what kind of handle?  I know nearly nothing about knapping.  I just saw bobbers being used at the Classic.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 07:04:25 pm »
sorry I didn't see the whole post, mine is about 5" long,maybe you can mount it in some copper pipe
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:42:34 pm »
My brother brought me a piece like that a few yrs ago. I rounded the corners off both ends. I didn't think it would be worth a darn. I was surprised how well it worked. Give it a try.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 11:16:16 pm »
Ok I know nothing of bobbers other than ones I've seen at the Classic.  They seem to be heavy.  I think some that I saw where copper pipe end caps with lead filled pipes.  So, I think I need some weight to it.  Two options I see: fit it inside a pipe some how.  Or, drill and tap it withe a bolt that would be mounted inside a pipe/handle.

Pictures of some of your guy's boppers would help.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 11:47:12 pm »
I use epoxy. On a a cap 1/2 filled with lead. All you have to do is heat it up to change it.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Newbow

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 01:23:12 am »
Do a Web search for "Puget Sound Knappers" and click on "How to" at the top.  You'll find articles on boppers and most anything else you might want to make.  Boppers can be elaborate or simple.  The pictures show elaborate but the text details simple.  There are numerous other "How To's" around the Web, but PSK has it all in one handy package.