Author Topic: My First Crossbow, 125# draw  (Read 8904 times)

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
My First Crossbow, 125# draw
« on: January 24, 2013, 07:48:24 pm »
so this is my first crossbow. it draws 125# at 20 inches, and uses the skane lockbow release mechanism rather than a rolling nut. prod is osage, as is the tickler, the tiller is walnut. enjoy! and as always, comments and questions are more than welcome :)

My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: My First Crossbow, 125# draw
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 08:00:20 pm »
Nice bow.
I'd consider a binding of thread spiraling along the prod, say one turn every inch, just to help hold it together if it blows.
If it goes bang when you are aiming there is a severe risk to your eyes.
I backed mine with rawhide, for that reason. I'm not normally a worrier about health and safety, but eyes are vulnerable.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 08:34:34 pm »
Thank you del! and would a braided leather wrapping work? if so i could make it to match my bull's horn quiver i made for my bolts :)
My Longbow in one hand, My Colt 1860 Army in the other, and both feet in the past.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:35:56 pm »
Have you been able to shoot much? Curious about how a basic design like that does.

Offline Will H

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:25 pm »
Very cool.  8)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:56 pm »
Ive put about a hundred shots through it, and ive gotten one squirrel  >:D its a fantastic design, simple, fast, and effective. also the fewest moving parts, which is my favorite part :)

Offline bow101

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 08:47:56 pm »
Nice bow.
I'd consider a binding of thread spiraling along the prod, say one turn every inch, just to help hold it together if it blows.
If it goes bang when you are aiming there is a severe risk to your eyes.
I backed mine with rawhide, for that reason. I'm not normally a worrier about health and safety, but eyes are vulnerable.
Del

I tend to agree about the risk factor.!!!! :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 10:26:06 pm »
yeah, you got a good point there. just did overlapping x lashings on both limbs, should hold it if she blows :)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:39:38 pm »
I like that design.  I haven't been to interested in making a crossbow myself, as most look like a lot of work.  But that looks like the ticket. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 02:47:39 am »
Great job, it really looks cool
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 02:56:49 am »
That's too cool!  I'd love to see a video of it shoot.  What kind of tips do you plan on putting on that dart if any.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 04:18:47 am »
Thank you del! and would a braided leather wrapping work? if so i could make it to match my bull's horn quiver i made for my bolts :)
Probably... the whole point is, you hope you'll never actually find out :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 09:27:30 am »
Excellent job. I would recommend you smooth the rails on the top of the crossbow stock so you lengthen the life of your string. And do keep in mind that the string loops are half the strenght of the string itself, since they split in half for the loops. A fatter string slows the speed of the bow a little bit, but far better than a broken string and maybe broken archer.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 10:51:57 am »
I've always wanted to make one like I saw in high school. A friend brought one in to school (yeah you could do that back then). It was one his brother, who was quite a bit older than him, brought back from Viet Nam. It was as simple as could be. Memory doesn't recall the woods but it was a tapered stick with a groove on top for the bolt, a simple L shaped trigger mounted in a mortise that basically works the same way as this one. At the business end, there was a square hole that was where the bow slipped through. The "bow" cross section was square in the center where it fit snugly in the stock, was around 36" NTN and had a "D" cross section, fairly straight taper to the tips. I remember it had a natural fiber string. The bolts were pretty small in diameter and looked like giant bamboo skewers that were fatter at the back end. This thing was whisper quiet and very fast! You could take it down and fit it into a sleeve in about 10 seconds. I would imagine stringing it would go pretty easy with a boot type stringer.

Offline twilightandmist

• My Etsy Shop:
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 12:41:53 pm »
thank you to all of you! and your advice is quite welcome! to answer the question about the heads for the bolts, i plan to forge out some medieval crossbow heads as soon as it dries out enough in west michigan to get a decent fire going in my forge.