Author Topic: 2013 Bow Trade???...we doing one this year?  (Read 15521 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: 2013 Bow Trade???...we doing one this year?
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2013, 11:31:41 pm »
I am one of those that falls in the crowd of "the fewer rules the better", but there has been one rule that has been consistently left out and I think it needs to be addressed. 

Sign your work.  Some might think it is a pretty petty little thing, but it means a great deal to the recipient.  You might say, "But I'm no great bowyer like Hubert Hossenpfeffermeister, I'd be embarrassed to sign my bow."  If you are that uneasy about it, maybe you should pass on the bow trade. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2013, 11:40:20 pm »
OK!!!

I'm ready but how does ya spell JW ???

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2013, 11:44:17 pm »
"But I'm no great bowyer like Hubert Hossenpfeffermeister

I have one of his bows, it's pretty sweet  :P

I'm thinkin' I might try this swap, but I'm not sure... the bows I see on here are intimidating.
>>>---------->

Offline Weylin

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2013, 11:48:04 pm »
I am one of those that falls in the crowd of "the fewer rules the better", but there has been one rule that has been consistently left out and I think it needs to be addressed. 

Sign your work.  Some might think it is a pretty petty little thing, but it means a great deal to the recipient.  You might say, "But I'm no great bowyer like Hubert Hossenpfeffermeister, I'd be embarrassed to sign my bow."  If you are that uneasy about it, maybe you should pass on the bow trade. 

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from there, JW but I have to admit that I have a hang up about writing on bows. There is a lot of writing on bows that i find down right unappealing. I'm trying to come to terms with this hang up as I'm making more bows that are going out to other people. The bow that I sent out last trade didn't have any writing on it. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Anyway, not sure what my point is but...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2013, 11:52:59 pm »
Coaster, it's spelled with a capital 7.

Weylin, look at it this way...you may not like the look of your signature, but the recipient is proud of having YOUR bow in THEIR hands.  I'd love a bow from you, but if you signed it, it would mean so much more to me. 

And lastly, think of how we are all aging...you may be helping remind some of us who made the bow we are in the woods shooting!!!   >:D

Offline Keenan

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2013, 11:56:22 pm »
Well said JW

Offline steve b.

« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2013, 12:01:17 am »
I can build a pretty good bow and for this thing I'm going to build my best bow to date, or at least try.  That's all I care about, is the bow that I'm going to give to someone.

One of you guys who are intimidated can make a bow for me if the moderators will allow it.  It will be good for you to be intimidated and have to push yourself to make something shootable and I will be happy to be the motivation for that.  If the bow you make is so bad in the end then I will either hang it on the wall as a memorial and conversation piece or I will make it shootable.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2013, 12:24:21 am »
It will be good for you to be intimidated and have to push yourself to make something shootable

Very true!  Not sure if I am going to get in.  Maybe I will just sit back and make a bow in case somebody stumbles.  And if nobody needs it, I can claim it for myself.  I was really liking that bow I named "Jane", but it ended up betting sent to someone at Christmas time and once again I don't have a bow of my own I can shoot. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2013, 12:44:22 am »
I think everyone should sign and date their bows. Not only like JW said but also because in the future someone might come across it and wonder. I have a few old bows that were given to me or I bought at flea markets that have no signature or date and I'm always wonder about them. We are all part of the future history(is that an oxymoron) and I for one want whomever finds one of my bows to know something about it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2013, 12:53:36 am »
And signing your bow may prevent someone down the road trying to lay claim to being the artist.

I had that happen to me. A very unscrupulous individual (a number of people in here are familiar with him) had me build a sinew backed horse bow.  We agreed on a price of $400, but he only paid me half that much.  Later that summer I found it in a local art gallery with his name on it and a pricetag of $1,700.  Learned my lesson but good. 

Offline JonW

« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2013, 01:36:12 am »
Jdub you surely won't forget ol' Froggy and where it came from will ya'.

blackhawk

« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2013, 09:52:48 am »
Thanks for adding another rule j dub....lol....I only sign bows that go to other people,its only prudent

If anyone feels intimidated don't be...if you do sign up and feel you bit off more than you can chew then please speak up and let us know..a little communication goes a loooong way...and all the commitee members are not only here to facilitate the trade,but to help anyone out who needs some help...that's what were here for. I would rather see someone contact us either publicly or privately when in need of help,than being stubborn and not say anything. And this goes for any life emergencies,or problems with your build. If you need advice please ask,we are more than willing to help ya out and want to help you.

That being said I do think anyone entering should have some basics down in understanding what an acceptable tiller looks like. I have personally seen a couple trade bows that never should've been sent out...and I think they got sent out because of the pressure to get be sent out to fulfill there vow,and were too stubborn to let the facilitators know they were having a hard time with there build. Again..please let us know...I can't emphasize open lines of communication enough here.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2013, 12:49:25 pm »
I was in the trade 2 yrs ago and unfortunatly thru various life events was one of the "Bad Apples"....My trade bow was VERY late gettin to Keenan... That being said, Im gonna make a bow to have on hand incase someone fails to finish. Just a small attempt at redeeming myself and hopefully gaining trust from those I let down.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Keenan

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2013, 03:37:34 pm »
 Brian,  we all have rough times and Lord knows Ive been there as well a time or two. What matters is how we walk through that situation and you have certainly done that well. "You are welcome at my fire any time Bro" Great offering Brian!    BTW that bow is still shooting great!  TC&GB Keenan

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2013, 03:52:50 pm »
Thankya Keenan! Means alot to me.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....