Author Topic: Anyone read the book hatchet?  (Read 2566 times)

Offline tgtmatt

Anyone read the book hatchet?
« on: January 23, 2013, 10:44:05 pm »
The book by Gary Paulsen that are all about a boy being stranded in the wilderness after a fatal plane crash and trying to survive in the harsh Canadian wilderness with just a hatchet he received from his mother before boarding the plane.. I have read this particular one many times. It is a fairly easy read and I just can't help but read it and wish I was the one out there in the open wild living free from society and all it's terrible traditions, etc. I'm sure many of you also feel the same way. I just one day wish that I can go and spend a whole year in the wild and make my way through it. Sounds like the time of my life, although with many struggles, etc.

Has anyone ever read that book?

Offline Dictionary

Re: Anyone read the book hatchet?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:12:46 pm »
Ive read it a few times.

Go read Into The Wild. A guy leaves everything behind to live in the Alaskan wilderness. Spends a few months there and falls prey to the environment and dies. We all have dreams of leaving behind society but honestly, we were brought up in this part of the world not in another where we have the natural instincts and abilities to survive on our own. Of course with proper training and experience, one can do it.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:44:58 pm »
I will check out that book tgtmatt.  Sounds like a book that will hold my interest.

Dictionary,  Alex Supertramp is an interesting guy.  I've seen the movie and watched a documentary on him.  I didn't know about the book.  I might have to check that one out as well.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 02:28:21 pm »
It sounds amazing and so peaceful. I would love to do it for a while but not forever. I dream of one day after graduating college, med school, etc to buy a small cabin in the middle of nowhere to go for peace.

Also check out gary paulsen's other books, he has a few sequels, etc. Look him up in the library or amazon.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 03:02:42 pm »
Yeah I've read two of the three for that series. My son has read them all and a couple of others like it. He even prepared a meal in Hatchet at deer camp this year and loved the whole experience of reading about it and then doing it. He also wanted to try some chokecherries like the book, but persimmons were the next best and probably taste similar.

Clint you would like this series!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 08:56:04 pm »
Did they make a movie about the book? It sounds a lot like one I saw quite a few years ago.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 11:57:33 am »
They did make a movie, but I believe it was a low budget one and it wasn't that good. I remember watching it online and hated it.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 06:07:21 pm »
The one I saw was on TV and the kid traveled a long way with a dog.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 08:03:08 pm »
Was it in the canadian wilderness and on a canoe? I am re reading one by paulsen now called "brians hunt" and he is traveling along a river and he found a dog that was wounded with a large tear on its side and he has a urge to keep moving north along the river to search for the dogs residence and so on.

Offline raghorns

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 12:28:12 am »
My kids brought it home from school a few years back...it was great.

Lyle
Live Life at Full Draw

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 09:07:14 pm »
My son has Brian's Hunt out reading it again. I think the character uses a hatchet to craft a self bow. I'll have to read through it.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 01:37:49 am »

Tgtmatt;
     Was the movie about a kid on a float plane and the pilot has a heart attack or something, and they crash into a lake, and the kid swims, out, and then a few days later goes back to the plane and dives under water, and retrieves his back pack, and one day notices that the stone above his head in his shelter makes sparks when hit with his hatchet, and makes fire by using his money, and kills a mother black bear that attacks him.....he also makes a rinky dink bow, and kills a grouse, and then after awhile he is rescued.  Is that the same story?

Wayne

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 11:05:36 am »
That is the exact story. I believe the movie was called a cry in the wild. It really wasn't to great of a movie but the book is beyond amazing.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 12:50:08 pm »
Since we're talking about books here.....I read the archer's tale series by cromwell about a year or so ago and i was wondering if any members have read any other books similar to that plot. I enjoyed reading about the english bowman.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline tgtmatt

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 01:52:37 pm »
what's the archer's tales series about?