Author Topic: Weather Proofing  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Fumbles

Weather Proofing
« on: January 23, 2013, 01:37:14 pm »
Generally I use Tung Oil as a sealant for my bows, however, this product is not available in my new area. Has anyone here tried using Thompson's Waterseal or Miniwax Helmsman Spar Urethane to weather proof their bows?

I have no experience with these sealants and am curious if they crack or somehow endanger the integrity of the wood.

-Fumbles

Offline Will H

Re: Weather Proofing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:56:05 pm »
I've used that spar urathane a bunch. It works really well ;) I usually apply it with the cheap sponge brush, one per coat. Also, get it in the gloss. If you want a less shiny finish use the satin in the spray can for your last coat. Here's a link to one of the first bows I used this stuff on so you can see what kind of results it can have ;) http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29560.0.html
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 02:36:48 pm »
  Try wax and a hair dryer. I've been waxing my personal bows for at least 15 years. Only problem is it has to be redone now and then. Bows I build for people I use POLY. unless it's ta;lked about. Other sealents cover the wood to water proff, heated up wax go's deep in the wood cells. Far deeper than any rub on sealent.  And the same time wax allows the wood to breath. Very important in the life of wood bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Will H

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 03:21:57 pm »
I've also used parrifin wax to some extent. It's quick and easy to apply :) great way to seal an all wood bow but if you have skins or other backings not so much ;)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Fumbles

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 03:47:13 pm »
When using the wax, do you need to apply it in coats? If so, how many? And is there a recommended sitting time between coats

Also, the temperature in my area is -40 C right now. How does that affect which method of weather proofing I choose?

-Fumbles

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:21:42 pm »
I've been working with a 1 to 3 mixture of beeswax and tallow (rendered beef fat for me)  It works pretty well.  Like crooketarrow said, just warm it into the wood.  Mike Yancey used a similar mixture using bear tallow in a video series with Sigma 6 Survival.  Just have to coat it with tallow or grease once a year according to him in the video.  Though, I'd do twice a year to be safe.

Offline Will H

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:27:34 pm »
Just get your heat gun out and slowly start heating the bow in a spot then start putting the wax on the bow. You'll notice the wood absorbs the wax. Start chasing puddles of wax over the entire bow until it dosent soak it up anymore. Then wipe off the excess with a rag. I usually rub it down pretty vigoursly. Only takes a few minutes and looks great. Usually reapply the wax once a year or so.
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 06:46:57 pm »

Offline dwardo

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 01:08:48 pm »
I first tried tung or linseed and neither were very waterproof.
I then use POLY for everything until i found Tru-oil. Much easier and cleaner to apply as you just use your finger and smooth it on, no cleaning brushes. Dries quickly humidity aside. Its also much much easier to repair and area with tru-oil, POLY is a killer to repair.

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 01:34:50 pm »
When applying wax, you can first rub the entire bow with a candle. Not too much. Then use just a piece of cloth or even toilet paper. Rub the bow so hard that the wax melts from the friction. You will notice clearly when it hapens. Like this, you get a smooth surface, excess wax is soaking into the cloth. You only do this once, it leaves a smooth, ultra-thin and well-sealing coat.
Don't shoot!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 01:49:00 pm »
When applying wax, you can first rub the entire bow with a candle. Not too much. Then use just a piece of cloth or even toilet paper. Rub the bow so hard that the wax melts from the friction. You will notice clearly when it hapens. Like this, you get a smooth surface, excess wax is soaking into the cloth. You only do this once, it leaves a smooth, ultra-thin and well-sealing coat.

What I do is rub the wax onto a piece of cheese cloth, until it is nice and waxy. Then I run the waxy cloth on the bows limbs (after they have been burnished really good), and then to get a nice finish just buff up real good with a clean piece of cheese cloth. Maybe repeat a couple times. If I want the bow weather proof, I will usually use tung oil, and then beeswax. I use pure tung oil though. Takes forever to dry. Adds alot of weight to the bow too. I need to try the hair drier trick with the beeswax. Here's the results anyhow:

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 01:57:27 pm »
wow! knots, thats some beautiful finish work!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)