Author Topic: Tree ID "sticky"  (Read 1319 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Tree ID "sticky"
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:20:31 pm »
I've been reading back through PA threads intently absorbing all the knowledge available here.  I've noticed with regularity tree ID question threads.  Well, I have a strong background in this area....  I'd be very happy to put together a bow wood tree ID photo section, with growth habits and habitat preferences.  I don't have access to any of the western species, but midwestern/southeatern stuff is in my area of expertise.

Would a photo section with leaf and bark, fruit and maybe winter twig, be of interest?

I want to contribute here, and I know nothing of building a bow other than what I've read on the internet...  I know, "you can't put anything on the internet that isn't true, right?" :D :D

Offline seabass

Re: Tree ID "sticky"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:27:10 pm »
i can see where this would be helpful.id questions come up quite often.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:31:08 pm »
sounds good to me.
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 08:34:49 pm »
I tried starting something like that a while ago and it died off.  I think the post was called  bowyers tree ID or something like that. 

Good luck with it.  I think it would help a lot of beginners out
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 04:28:47 am »
That May help, but there's nothing like a live 1 on 1 with an expert Because as you know species very in appearance From 1 tree to the next Plus it makes for good conversation ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 07:36:58 am »
I think it would be helpful ,especially in the Ash/Elm family,others also but those are the ones that really fool me. I know an ash and an elm but that's about as far as it goes,all the different kinds I don't have a clue on most. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:40:45 am »
I think it would be a great reference for beginners. Maybe even compile variations for species with a large range. I took dendrology at Purdue several years ago , but use it every day :)

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for opinions and contributions along the way. Might pm Steve Parker (Hillbilly) for some good input.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:01 am »
Wapiti, I think that is a great idea. Leaves, bark(old and young), flowers, fruit, twigs and buds and tree structure(branching). We have lots of folks asking what this tree is or what that tree is. I think it is a great idea if you feel like going to all that effort.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC