Author Topic: Stave problems  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Stave problems
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:08:45 am »
For the life of me, I can't harvest a decent Osage stave. The first couple logs looked straight, but were twisted and tight ringed. The next few had fat rings, but were full of knots. Over the weekend I harvested a couple. They split straight and had smallish rings, but were workable. . . until I peeled off the bark and sapwood. Full of borers! I have a whole basement full of twisted, knotty, worm eaten staves that I can't do anything with. I have neither the tools, experience, or the patience to tackle any of them at this point. Guess ill have them for the future. Stinkn frustrating for a new guy.  :'(  thanks for listening to me whine.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Stave problems
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:27:17 am »
If you stand back from the tree and study the bark you will see it spiraled up the tree if the wood is twisted. If the wood is straight the bark will also be. 
  Thin ringed osage will make a great bow. You may have to back it with rawhide, silk, linen or heavy paper but it will make a great bow. You can use a tenon cutter to check the grain of a tree before cutting it. Dean Torges discusses this in his book "Hunting The Osage Bow".
 Can't help you with the wormy wood. Hard to know about them until you cut the tree but usually they only show themselved after the tree is cut. Try getting below the worm holes. Probably some good wood down there.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:41:09 am »
Thanks Pat. Nothing I have is workable at this point, for me at least. The thing ringed stuff is either twisted or full of knots. I'll get some eventually. Just frustrated from all the hours I've spent cutting, packing out, splitting, debarking, and sealing with nothing to show for it. I guess I'll tote it all to the Classic (1st time) and see if someone can use any of it.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:49:43 pm »
when they dry some so shipping wont be so bad i will trade you out of some of them.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:56:46 pm »
Sounds like a plan.

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 02:04:17 pm »
If ya take that thin ringed stuff down to the classic and show it to pat to have a looksy he'll tell you that you are right,that it is junk and to throw it in the back of his vehicle and he'll dispose of it for you ;)  :laugh:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:52:25 pm »
I've learned a lot about bow building and wood from 3 staves someone gave me years ago. He didn't think they were worth more than firewood with the twists, bends, knots, limbs and thin rings. I spent all one winter working and learning on those three staves and by spring I had 5 shootable bows and a head full of knowledge and confidence.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:56 pm »
I don't doubt anyone's abilities, other than my own. I can't wait to meet everyone at the classic just to learn what I can. 'Hawk, you got me a little leary of everyone now. Do I need to let you inspect all my staves before anyone else? ::)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 05:30:11 pm »
Sounds like my pile, minus the borers. Mine is all twisted, knotted and bent. Osage moves easily with heat, and it stay put mostly.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 05:39:21 pm »
Like Pat said.  Study the bark as best as you can.  Look for second growth off of old stumps.  It usually has thicker rings.  Also look for trees growing near a water source. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 06:06:38 pm »
Thanks Outlaw. I'm learning a lot about problem wood. If I had more skills and equipment, I'd be set for a while. I'm just not prepared for tricky staves yet.