Author Topic: ghillie suit?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline darwin

ghillie suit?
« on: February 19, 2013, 03:56:42 pm »
Who hunts with a ghillie suit? Where did you get it? Did you make it? Did you use a kit ? How well does it work?

I don't have too many trees capable of holding a stand so I'm looking into other options. last deer season I hunted out of a ghost blind which was pretty cool but it had its limitations so mantel a ghillie is the way to go

Offline David_Daugherty

Re: ghillie suit?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:57:16 am »
Never hunted with one but made them while I was in the millitary.  The one compaint I would have about them was how hot they are.  At least the one's I made were.
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 01:22:38 am »
I've thought of getting or making one but my list is already too long.  ;D Sportsmans Guide has them pretty reasonably priced. You will probably have to trim some of the tassles on youre bow arm to keep the string from getting cought.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline darwin

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:43:57 am »
Ive seen a few that were design for bow hunting but they were very expensive, 150 bucks for the top alone

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:08:29 pm »
I've got an article written by DR Ed Ashby (of broadhead testing fame ) that he sent me if you want it. It is how he makes his and although I haven't done it yet its on my list. Just PM me and I'll send it to you.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:25:16 am »
  I made mine in 1980 and have used it everytime I've bow hunted bucks and everytime I gobbler hunted wth gun and bow. From the ground in 06 I've only ground hunted. When the first hit the market I had  a couple cousins by them. But there's were burlap and when wet were heavy and stunk.
    I made mine ,pull over knee lenth. Made a coat out of dip net. And cut strips of synetic turkey blind materal and tied it on each mesh. I've also had some synetic jute.

As to how good, I'm by far no stalker but one day with the wind blowing had I touched a doe with my bow. On a differnt day I stalked to 22,23 yards a shot a 7 point.
  The only time I really stalk is in standing corn when the wind howls. I'v shot 5 bucks peaking rows 2 in their beds.
  I've shot 37 gobblers with a gun and 15 with a selfbow. The selfbow kills were all 5 to 15 yards. All were killed while wearing it.
  But most impressive was on spring morning mid 80's. I had a gobbler strutting in the corner of a pasture field 150 yards away. I crawed to about 75 ,80 yards. When I heard a cluck behind me. I layed still and a hen came by me pecking as she went. She was no more the a foot from my face. I wish I grabed her legs but at the time I was thinking gobbler.

That last pic. I a coat I sewed on netting and I use it when I have a blind or lots of cover.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:26:57 am »
  SORRY ABOUT THE PIC'S NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 05:24:19 pm »
I've made several but I haven't used them for bow hunting too much. I'm not great stalker so it kind of cancels out.

Definitely go with the home made route. Take your time and match it to your enviorment. The ones you buy in the store usually poor quality, low volume (bad thing), over priced and won't really match your enviorment.

Stick with mostly browns jute and burlap. Incorprate natural vegetation into your suit, and remember its a Ghillie suit, not a cloaking device.  ;)

I made a heavy Ghillie coat and it still only cost me about $15.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 03:53:01 pm »
   Your Ghillie doesn't have to be for stalking. I tree stand hunted and now totally ground hunted 100's and 100's of times.  I only stalk standing corn in the wind.