Author Topic: Second Attempt  (Read 3632 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Second Attempt
« on: January 21, 2013, 10:50:13 pm »
This will be my second attempt at a self bow. The first one I made many attempts and now the bow sits in the corner as more of a trophy than a work horse. Hopefully this one will be different. It is an Elm stave that was very graciously traded by Pearls. I plan on a 64 ttt bow somewhere around 50+ pounds. Layed out the bow and started hoggin off wood with hand tools only. I think I get too impatient when power is involved. Here it is so far... some snake which makes it super cool... Thanks for looking

Still have a ton of wood to hog off one limb and in the handle area but slow and steady wins the race... Right?
Hopefully you guys like it and think that I am on the right track...

Justin

Offline steve b.

Re: Second Attempt
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 10:54:23 pm »
Practice makes perfect.  That's a good piece of wood.  Everytime you work one you will move ahead.  So get some under your belt.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:31:58 am »
That's a nice, challenging piece of wood. Looks like you're off to a good start.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:11:50 am »
This is not a timed event. Take it slow. Use a tillering gizmo. Impatience has killed many a bow.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:27:13 am »
You had one failure already, Justin! Oh no! I actually had 14 times that before I got a shooter. No power tools until you are shooting bow #6 is my advice. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 12:13:02 pm »
Dont forget to temper it, thats key with elm in my experinece.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 12:28:55 pm »
George ya must be a slow learner:) LOL

Nice stave Justin, slow and easy does it. Ya can always take more wood off, BUT once ya take wood off, ya can't put it back on.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 04:34:35 pm »
Well got the stave all roughed out. Took my time but still have some work to do in the tip area. One had a saw mark in it and I needed to thin both sides out evenly to take it out. Its almost gone but just a tad more to go. Anyways here are some pictures of where I am at now.....

The saw mark... lil more to go

Top limb tip

Bottom limb tip--- the none that needs some more work

I laid a sting along the belly of the bow in the middle of each tip. The string tracks nicely and with just minor tweaking.... say 1/4 of an inch it will be right in the middle of the handle. I am hoping to be able to shoot of the inside bend of the bow so that it will be closer to center shot.

Any comments welcome.. Have a good day guys!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 04:48:48 pm »
Looks good Justin. Im anxious to see this one bend.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:08:40 am »
That's looking good,looking forward to seeing it shooting. :) Love the snake. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 08:48:50 am »
Ive got a half log thats much, much more snakey. Its the wierdest looking elm I have cut. I sent Justin a wiggly and a straight one......figgers he'd grab the nasty one first!

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 12:06:47 pm »
Thanks Chris again for the staves again. I actually pulled the straight stave out last night n looked it over. There was a crack in one side is it but think I can still get a 60 ttt bow. This next one is def gonna be a recurve with sinew. Can't wait to start on it!

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 02:05:10 pm »
So after a few days of feeling as though I got hit by a Mack truck... dang flu... I still am not up to par but figured I can't sit around anymore. I started back up on this bow and am getting to get it bending just a little. I floor tillered it the best I could just to get the limbs bending slightly then jumped to a long string for a bit. Once I got the bow bending to around 4 inches I went to a tighter string. Here is how the string falls just about and inch braced above the handle. I have much more to go but want to get your guys opinion before I continue on removing wood. Here is how the string is lying on the bow. I have temp nocks taped on.

One Limb

Other Limb

String alignment through handle

I am super nervous I am going to remove wood in the wrong places. This stave is the first snakey one I have worked on. It has minor prop twist in the limbs in different areas and I do not want to get ahead of myself. I figure I will post a lot and ask for all you guys for tips and advise. I am hoping to get my first selfbow with this stave.

Comment are needed guys. Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 02:21:24 pm »
Looks good to my eyes.

Offline JonW

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 04:55:38 pm »
Looks good so far. Man I wish I had that stave! Lovin' that profile.