Author Topic: OSAGE QUESTION  (Read 1237 times)

Offline taxus_bacata

OSAGE QUESTION
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:38:14 pm »
To my surprise, although osage is not a tree native to where I live (Uruguay, South America), I found a tree growing wild in the middle of a 4000 acre woodsland I usually hunt in. Obviously, I have never worked the wood and would like some advice regarding:

1. The tree is growing at ground level mostly but shoots up branches upto about 20 feet. The one I have my eyes on must be about 5 to 7 inches in diameter and grows fairly straight. Would it work if I split it into 4 staves?

2. When is the best time to cut it?

3. Once cut down, what steps should I follow until it is ready to shape up, tiller and kill?

4. What to use to seal the ends of the staves?

Thanks! 

Offline osage outlaw

Re: OSAGE QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 02:54:46 pm »
Could it be Agentine Osage?  Here is my opinion on your questions.

Seal the ends with shellac, polyurethane, glue, paint, or anything that will slow the moisture loss.

I like to split it into staves and then get the bark and sapwood off of them.  If you do that, make sure to seal the backs of the staves.  I use several coats on the backs and ends. 

If you leave the bark on them you need to spray them with some good insect killer.  I have no idea what kind of wood borers you have down there but I imagine they are a lot worse than we have here.

The best time to cut a good piece of osage is when you can find it.  I like to wait until spring when it is not to hot or cold outside but it seems I always end up cutting it when its 90 degrees

A shoot that size might yield 4 staves depending on how it splits.  I got 4 staves out of a 5" HHB log but it split perfectly.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 02:57:27 pm »
And post some pics if you can
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 03:05:18 pm »
5" to 7" is plenty wide enough to split into 2 or 3 staves; however, your stave likely will have a knot or two and maybe a 'snakey' grain on the interior--can't always know until the stave is split.

You can cut anytime of the year, but if you have climate change in the part of the country in which you live--ie. a dormant winter season where plants and trees will shut down for  a couple months, this is the ideal time to cut since the moisture content will be low. Once cut seal the ends immediately with latex caulk or polyurethane, or something to seal-in the moisture. Do this wither you split the staves the same day you cut the tree or wither you choose to wait a couple weeks before splitting ( a good idea to hinder warping if the wood is real moist).

My personal opinion is to split out 1 or 2 good staves rather than trying to get  a certain number and perhaps ending up with 4 inferior staves.

I see someone else posted ahead of me, I'll leave it up anyway :)
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.