Author Topic: D/R osage stave build-a-long  (Read 19058 times)

blackhawk

Re: D/R osage stave build-a-long
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 09:03:23 pm »
Slick idea there Clint...way to use ur noggin.....I think it still can work just fine...just use shims so you don't reflex it down all the way...you can shim it up right by the fades.....do a mock set up or two till you get it where you want it

I hope ur wife was either gone or ya snuck her rocking chair into the shop without her knowing

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 09:08:19 pm »
She didn't know  ;)  At first I thought I could just use the chair and then luckily my smarts kicked in and realized I would probably burn the paint off of it and leave clamp marks.  I would have never heard the end of that one  ::)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 09:20:32 pm »
alright pal ya owe me for ruining my own follow along,and making me expose my bowmaking secrets  >:( :P   :laugh:

heres my half caul...its 32" long I believe and will induce a ton of reflex..if you put a straight 68"+ stave over it and do each limb you can get about 8" of setback with it...it works great tho for r/d bows where the deflexed handle area just doesn't like to fit on a form,and I make all my r/d bows over this form. the backstop can be taken off by taking the bolts out. at each end is a notch cut paralleling the arc of the form for good clamping,and underneath it mostly parallels the arc as well for ease of clamping.

here is the front view of it with nothing on it

heres a more angled view for a better 3d perspective

and heres my big kinky stave in a mock set up over the form...I had to shim an area....but you should know all about shimming to correct on a form(and I wont be doing mine this exact way over the form....I just threw it on there quick to give ya an idea of what a bow looks like on it..not a very good representation cause of the funky stave)anyways...I think ya should get the jist of it

Chris, is that HHB?  I'm thinking of laying out the HHB you gave tomorrow while I'm waiting for the osage to regain moisture  from forming it and sinew to dry on the horse bow.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2013, 09:28:00 pm »
Its osage Dave ....good time of year to be working that hhb...should be good to go

You must like playing with fire Clint  >:D

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2013, 09:37:30 pm »
Chris, how well does HHB take heat bending?

Sorry, Clint I didn't mean to hijack your thread.  I love your rocker idea.  Since you're not sitting in the rocker, would it be safe to say, "you're off your rocker"   >:D
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Roy

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2013, 09:37:44 pm »
Clint if I'd known ya needed a caul I'd have drove out there with mine. It's a lot better than Chicken Hawks caul too.

blackhawk

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2013, 09:45:36 pm »
Dave..if you just mean dry heat reflexing the limbs its best to get a good floor tiller on it,and then temper in your desired bends...just no static recurve type bends with the dry heat..use steam for that kind of heat bending. It'll take a longer time to heat and move than osage,and will bounce back a lil more after you unclamp

Roy's is better because its newer...but its the same caul traced out and copied mine..lol :laugh:

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »
No problem Dave  :)

Roy, you would have driven all the way here just to give me a caul?  That's awful nice of you.  It wouldn't have anything to do with those pics I posted on TG would it  ;D  Let me guess, you'll drive the truck and maybe pull the trailer?

Offline Roy

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 09:59:27 pm »
Yup Clint I would have done that and would have brought the truck too. And if by chance ya wasn't home, I'd have left the caul in your garage, right beside your now smaller pile of Osage:)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 11:47:03 pm »
O man I was waiting to flip over from page 3 to page 4 and see that stave clamped up on the bottom of that rocking chair haha

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2013, 04:19:44 pm »
Sorry Duck.  I know my wifes limits.  Burning her chair is past the redline.

It don't look like much has changed but I got it floor tillered and bending evenly.  I used the scraper to get rid of all the file marks and round the edges.  I think its ready to get put on the caul now.  I have to work the next 3 days so it will have to wait.

Offline randman

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2013, 07:30:06 pm »
Lookin Good double-ot. Can't wait to see more.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2013, 09:35:08 pm »
Saw it today in person looks better than the picture vary nice work outlaw
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2013, 10:46:03 pm »
That's coming along nicely Clint!  You gonna get it done before Blackhawk finishes his kinky stick?  Josh

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2013, 12:14:10 am »
I doubt it Josh.  He probably has that thing done already and he's just posting some pics here and there to make it look like he's still working on it.

It was nice meeting you Ozzy.  Good luck with those staves.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:46:19 am by osage outlaw »