Author Topic: D/R osage stave build-a-long  (Read 19034 times)

Offline steve b.

Re: D/R osage stave build-a-long
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 10:48:03 pm »
osage outlaw, where is that bubble located?  Is it near perfect midstave?  All of your pics make it hard to tell?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 11:11:12 pm »
Yes, it is dead center of the stave.  I'll try to get a side view tomorrow. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 12:30:02 am »
Clint,it's funny.i have never hit my head on that beam.i should stand there and hand out bandaides.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 12:41:14 am »
Me neither Steve.  I wonder why  ;D

blackhawk

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 09:25:39 am »
Me and that beam have had a lot of "chosen" words that wouldn't make my mother proud  :laugh:

Clint ill try to snap n post a pic of my form tonight if I can..I don't have a pic of it in anywhere in my photobucket gallery, or in my documents on my PC.

blackhawk

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 05:06:33 pm »
alright pal ya owe me for ruining my own follow along,and making me expose my bowmaking secrets  >:( :P   :laugh:

heres my half caul...its 32" long I believe and will induce a ton of reflex..if you put a straight 68"+ stave over it and do each limb you can get about 8" of setback with it...it works great tho for r/d bows where the deflexed handle area just doesn't like to fit on a form,and I make all my r/d bows over this form. the backstop can be taken off by taking the bolts out. at each end is a notch cut paralleling the arc of the form for good clamping,and underneath it mostly parallels the arc as well for ease of clamping.

here is the front view of it with nothing on it

heres a more angled view for a better 3d perspective

and heres my big kinky stave in a mock set up over the form...I had to shim an area....but you should know all about shimming to correct on a form(and I wont be doing mine this exact way over the form....I just threw it on there quick to give ya an idea of what a bow looks like on it..not a very good representation cause of the funky stave)anyways...I think ya should get the jist of it

Offline Keenan

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 08:42:07 pm »
 Looking great Clint. Like seeing the "Outside the box" Character stuff being worked

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 08:53:36 pm »
Thanks Keenan.  When are you going to post some character osage pics?   ;)

Thanks Blackhawk.  That is about the shape that I had in mind.  I think I might be able to use something I already have.

I spent about 3 hours chasing a ring on it today.  It had a little more character than I first thought.  I had to work around several pin knots and a lot of dips, bumps, and some concave spots.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 09:45:24 pm »
Interesting build, I'm learning some things here. Looking good so far Outlaw, hoping it works for ya.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 09:11:08 pm »
I'm slowly chipping away that this bow.  I cut the limbs to a rough thickness today, smoothed out the profile, and got one limb thinned, shaped, and almost to a floor tiller.

It has some nice lines already. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 09:14:04 pm »
Your getting fast at this stuff Clintser, looks good so far man.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline seabass

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 09:23:17 pm »
lookng great Clint.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline steve b.

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 02:26:09 am »
Yea, nice.  Can't wait to see it.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »
I am really liking this bow build Clint. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 08:54:17 pm »
Got a little more done today, but not much.  I thinned out the other limb.  They are just starting to flex a little when I push on the floor with it.  One limb is a little stronger than the other but I'll even them out when I start to floor tiller it.  It's starting to look like a bow.

Since Blackhawk didn't offer to ship me his super secret reflex caul I guess I'll have to build my own  ;D  I borrowed the wifes rocking chair off the front porch and used it for the arc.

I got it all smoothed out and now that I'm looking at it, it might be a little to much arc.  I am stuck with it for now.  My bandsaw broke  :'(  I was trying to relieve the blade tension and it started getting really hard to turn.  The nut was siezing up on the bolt.  Then the nut started spinning in the housing.  I had to use a screwdriver and a wrench to get it apart.  It damaged the threads on the bolt.  Now I have to figure out somehow to cheaply fix it.  I'm glad I have a few bows already roughed out.

So what do you think, to much bend?