Author Topic: D/R osage stave build-a-long  (Read 19035 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Best design for this stave
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 04:23:22 pm »
will you guys help me with my stave if i bring it down?

I would be flattered Steve. I will do what I can untiil your shooting arrows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline kerryb

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 04:35:49 pm »
bring it steve, im sure you will be shooting it before you leave.
Milan Mo

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 04:38:31 pm »
Steve, bring two 1 litre bottles of Mt Dew, give one to Pearly and the other to Chickenhawk then hand them your stave.  Go get a burger from the kitchen and by the time you are done eating it they will have your bow on the test range flinging arrows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 05:13:45 pm »
thanks guys.i am not great with the character stuff yet.i will have a few ready to tiller when i get there.i just took the bark off a vinemaple stave and am going to get it roughed out.the vinemaple is real clean and straight.i just have no expirience with this wood.i don't have alot of time to work on things around here,so learning has been slow for me.this will be my year at the classic to make some bows.thanks alot guys.
Middletown,Ohio

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 05:22:54 pm »
Steve you know there will be more than enough experienced guys around to help...although it can get crazy in the shop bouncing from guy to guy giving them help when we get outnumbered  and trying to work on my own as well...but that's what's so fun ;)

Offline seabass

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 05:28:57 pm »
i know it does get crazy in the pit.i am going to get there a week early.i allway get to spend a little time with pappy and the boys before they get busy.there is lots of guys to help,but like you said  there is alot of bouncing back and forth.i am going to lay off the jar and learn a little something this year. ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:53:20 pm by seabass »
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 07:19:25 pm »
I am going down a week early as well.  Me and Pappy have a little tradin to do and I need help on my non-character staves.  Ive never made an Osage bow and 'hawk assured me that there will be plenty of Osage vets down there more than willing to lend a hand or offer their knowledge.  I cant wait to make a bow (with assistance) that goes "boing" instead of "cccraaack!"  By the way, do I need to drum up some "stump water" that you guys keep talkin about to keep you guys hydrated at night?  >:D  Sorry for hijacking your thread outlaw.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Will H

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »
Can't wait till y'all make it down here for the classic :) outlaw that's gonna make a sweet one!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline seabass

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 08:03:20 pm »
Clint,that is a great looking stave.are you going for 66".i was thinking of cutting mine to 65.i might do what you are doing and leave it a little long.mine is 70 right now.mine is 5/8 thick at the fades tapering to 9/16 mid limb to 1/2 at the tips..
Middletown,Ohio

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 09:14:33 pm »
No problem Greg.  You can tell people are starting to get the itch.  Seems like about half the posts on here end up talking about the Classic somewhere along the way. 

I went ahead and roughed out the bow today.  I had so many layers of sealer on the bow that a pencil wouldn't show up on it.  I had to use a sharpie.  I was nervous cutting it out but it actually went really smooth.  I did a better job on it than I did on the board straight HHB the other day.  Tomorrow I'll take it down 1 ring to get to the final back and then I'll cut it to thickness.  It has just a little twist but nothing major. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 09:34:42 pm »
And Blackhawk, I don't know if I can wait that long to finish it up.  Maybe I'll be shootin' this thing on the course down there  ;)

Offline seabass

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 09:57:04 pm »
mine has a slight prop twist.it's not real major.i can get it out on the form.yours is looking really good.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 10:05:28 pm »
Thanks Steve.  It will look even better tomorrow when I get it down to thickness.  I think I'll turn this into a build-a-long/help-a-long.  I'll need all the help I can get when it gets time to tiller this thing.

Blackhawk.  Can you post a pic of your caul you are talking about.  I have something in mind that might work but I'd like to see what you use.

Offline seabass

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2013, 10:10:43 pm »
tillering is my big problem.i can do it,but it takes me forever.i am going to debark some of those staves you gave me tomarrow.i am tring to get a few roughed out to work on at the classic.i can't wait to hang out with you guys and learn a little something.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 10:23:54 pm »
We will be glad to have you in the bow shop Steve.  We will laugh at all the tall people banging their heads off that one low beam.  I think ChickenHawk set the record at 14 times last year  ;D