Author Topic: Lets see your tillering tree set up (Pics added)  (Read 28319 times)

GeekGoneNative

Re: Lets see your tillering tree set up (Pics added)
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 09:49:04 pm »
Thanks for all the posts everyone,  For a noob like me it was very helpful to see what everyone has done.  Compiling the best of what everyone has to offer I chose to create a tillering tree design which also incorporates bedrooms, bathrooms and a cozy open fireplace. 
- I screwed a 2x4 into one of my studs in the basement on top of the drywall in my workshop. 
- I painted the drywall white and marked it with horizontal lines to help compare the curvature of both ends of the bow as I tiller it. 
- I marked the 2x4 every inch and drilled a hole to place a dowel so I don't pull the bow too far. 
- I have a pulley at the bottom for the rope to go through
- I mounted a tube light fixture centered on the tree so the shadows on both sides are even.
- And finally, to hold the bow, I have two barn door brackets (the type you drop a piece of wood into like when they bar a castle gate).

Most of it works quite well.  The barn door brackets make for easy fast loading but do come with a draw-back.  If you look at the Velcro strip used by Lost Arrow you can see that it allows the weight and balance of the bow to pivot so you can see how well you have it centered; with the barn door brackets you don't get that luxury, they're fixed in place.  It can also be a bit of a trick to get them exactly level with each other.   To protect the bow from marking on the edges of the barn door brackets I wrap it in a piece of leather before I put the bow on the tree.

I bought the barn door brackets at Home Depot but any hardware store that supports farms should have them.  They have some rough edges on them so you will want to file them before you mount them.

I tried to attach a picture but for some reason I couldn't get it to work.  Not sure why.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 10:11:50 pm »
GeekGoneNative:   .................. Mike ,..... is that you? ;D

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Lets see your tillering tree set up
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 01:20:33 am »
Here is mine.  Double pulley set up.  I stick a peg in the hole at whatever draw length I am pulling the bow to so I don't accidentally overdraw it. 

I use a 2 and one too, it makes a huge difference, my whimpy self can draw 150# easy on my tiller. (the exact opposite without the tiller of course, :) )
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 02:04:00 am »
Very interesting. Can you describe how you set up the 2 pulleys?

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 04:55:48 am »
I have a 3:1 pulley set up going.
I use two pulleys.
Tie one end of your rope to an anchor on the ground run upto the pulley that fits onto your scale (hanging from the bow string), around that, this redirects the rope to the floor....rope through the pulley that is attched to the ground anchor and out to where ever you want to stand.
As Toomany says easy peasy to pull heavy bows and light bows  :D

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 04:59:36 am »
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=petzl+pulleys+uk&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=KL_LUofxH4WThgfF1oHgBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=890

This shows you some pulleys that won't wear your rope and ways to rig a pulley set up.
As for rope wearing out go into a rock climbing shop and ask for 10mm static rigging rope, it'll be black or white and will never wear out...literally! It will last longer than you! Plus the bit you are wearing isn't load bearing so it doesn't matter

mikekeswick

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 05:01:26 am »
Oh and I see most people have their trees set up to pull the rope straight down the center line of the tree. A bow isn't pulled like that by hand. Make some pegs that offset the pull on the string to replicate it being hand drawn......if you don't and use the tree asll the way to full draw your lower limb will be weak when it comes to actually shooting the bow by hand.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 05:29:57 am »
That's very helpful, thanks Mike.

I didn't end up doing that much physics at school, so I'm just trying to work everything out now. I think the setup you are describing sounds pretty good. I've also read somewhere that the actual weight of the scales you use needs to be accounted for, is that right? And using that setup, do the scales display the total draw weight (not half draw weight as some other setups do, possibly incorrectly)?

I like lostarrows velcro strap setup in the original post, seems to make draw length and handle thickness etcetc a bit less confusing. I was also thinking of making the cradle where the bow sits movable so different styles of bow/handle can be taken into account, if i were to make a wooden one.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 10:55:26 am »
Mine is pretty simple, pulley at the bottom, peg holes for gizmo checks, nothing fancy but it has worked well for me through the years.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 10:53:15 pm »
Oh and I see most people have their trees set up to pull the rope straight down the center line of the tree. A bow isn't pulled like that by hand. Make some pegs that offset the pull on the string to replicate it being hand drawn......if you don't and use the tree asll the way to full draw your lower limb will be weak when it comes to actually shooting the bow by hand.

I agree . I make sure the center of the strap is in the same place on the handle by marking it ( where your hand would naturally cradle it when shooting) and returning it to that position every time. That's why I didn't like the rigid supports I tried. I also mark the short string with tape ,and put the pulley where  I would be pulling to shoot. I shoot three fingers under so I put it about 3/4" below  where  the arrow would be on the string. It makes a huge difference in how the bow bends. It seems to work pretty well, just a bit  tedious to undo the Velcro ( which will eventually wear out) Thinking of a strap of seatbelt or such  fixed on one end  with grommets on the other, to go over a hook after being looped under the handle. Same basic idea but different materials.

Offline Will H

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2014, 11:45:58 pm »
Here's my set up. I'm a metal fabricator by trade so when I decided to set up my workspace in my new house it was only natural to use some scrap metal from work. The hanger is made from a piece of rectangle tube and piece of a ratchet strap. I have my bottom pully fixed to the floor on a piece of angle that's slotted to keep the rope in line. I also use a piece of leather the same width as my three fingers to better represent my hand on the string. I try to position the bow strap on the dynamic fulcrum of the bow and the string glove right where the hand grips the string for either split or three under. It's a little elaborate and I've definitely used less and made bows just fine but I do like my new setup and it seems to be working great :)

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline chamookman

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 04:55:17 am »
Way cool set-up Will ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Don Case

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 01:19:56 pm »
Did you glue that to the floor or is the bolt hidden behind the pulley?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 01:31:04 pm »
Did you glue that to the floor or is the bolt hidden behind the pulley?
Sure hope it's a bolt  :o
That is sweet Will. What's the symbolism?

I recently posted my new set up but now see there are a few ways to skin this cat so it will be getting a little modification soon.
Thanks folks, Doob

Offline Will H

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 01:35:17 pm »
Thanks guys, it's anchored to the floor with a 1/2" redhead. The symbol is my bowyers mark/initials.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"