Author Topic: Lets see your tillering tree set up (Pics added)  (Read 28320 times)

Offline lostarrow

Lets see your tillering tree set up (Pics added)
« on: January 21, 2013, 10:50:02 am »
Hey guys, I'm in the  in the process of finally building a tillering tree. I misplaced my stick and took that as a sign from the bowmaking gods . I don't have an inch of wall space in the shop (covered in tools,and wood) . I made it swing down from the ceiling and used a cane bolt to anchor it into a hole I drilled in the concrete floor, I'll take some pics today and try to post tonight. It's a work in progress ,as I work out the bugs to make it more efficient and quick to mount the bow. That brings me to my enquiry. How are you mounting the bow? I currently am using a heavy duty velcro hanging strap rated to 300 lbs. It's very secure and has the added benefit of infinite adjustment to allow for different handle thickness without changing the position of the back relative to the markings on the tree.It cradles the bow as your hand would when  drawing. The only problem is ,it takes a little longer than I would like to set it up.

So lets see what you came up with , if you please!Thanks in advance for any advice.

Pic #5  Shows the retracted position against the ceiling with the gate latch engaged.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 09:57:42 pm by lostarrow »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Lets see your tillering tree set up
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:03:21 am »
My system clamps in my vice. I also clamp the top to a floor joist so it doesn't swing and shear off. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/directions.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:18:31 pm »
I use my tillering tree at a home and at workshops.  So I need to take it with me.  Yes a tillering stick does that, but I like to see the bow bending, not just bent.  So I made mine from a 2X4.  I crafted a shelf out of a piece of 2X4 and some plywood spurs to keep the bow on the shelf. 

I have a a pulley eye bolted to the bottom section.  The back side I countersunk so I could put a washer, lock washer and nut on and cut the bolt off flush with the 2X4.  This allows me to ratchet strap it to a tree, a post or clamp it to a post or even a door jam. 

Tillering tree on the go.  One tip,  When the rope begins to look worn.  Replace it.  Those pulleys can wear a rope. 

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:28:45 pm »
Mines called one tip on the ground..the other tip in my right hand..and my left hand on the handle...and I push and view the arc in my limbs...I don't have to make anything..the good lord designed a tiller tree in me ;)

I do have one similar to swamp monkeys except I use a cable instead of a rope because of wear. I can stick it in my vice to weigh bows,or strap it to a tree in the backyard when I wanna be outside,or take it to bowyering gathering,and shoots

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 05:37:00 pm »
I got a similar one. Or I pull the bow and ask my wife to have a look  ;D
Don't shoot!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:17:32 pm »
Here is mine.  Double pulley set up.  I stick a peg in the hole at whatever draw length I am pulling the bow to so I don't accidentally overdraw it. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lostarrow

Re: Lets see your tillering tree set up (Pics added)
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 10:11:56 pm »
Hahaha, The good lord must not have figured me for making bows blackhawk!  I need to stand well back to get a really good idea of what the bow is doing.The bows I've been making as of late are fairly long so that doesn't help much .I usually check on the stick and in a full length mirror, as well as taking pics with the timer and getting others to draw them . I just figured this would be a lot more efficient.(the mirror is in the house and my wife can't draw 60lbs. )I really need the uncluttered background as well. My mind gets muddy with info overload . I may have to make one of the portable ones that straps to a tree or post  as well . It sure feels good to do this kind of thing outside.- 15 C tonight so I have a few months before that anyway.  Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep checking.

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 12:22:14 am »
I use a camera(as long as I can find one of my kids to take pics)it helps me study the pics as I go through the different stages of tillering--Hammertime

Offline Newindian

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 01:29:01 am »
you wouldn't like mine it's a random piece of lumber  with nails sticking out of it
I like free stuff.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 11:52:27 am »
Yeah, my "lost"stick was a piece of hard maple with some notches in it. Nothing special!

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 02:16:04 pm »
My set up.

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 12:08:10 pm »

Here is my setup on the back deck of my house. single pulley is mounted to the base. This tillering tree is currently for sale for $65K, come with a FREE 3 bedroom, 1.75 bath ranch house.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 12:24:08 pm »
<snip>This tillering tree is currently for sale for $65K, come with a FREE 3 bedroom, 1.75 bath ranch house.

You might have a deal if you can throw in the bow in the picture!  (nice curve...)

Onebow

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2013, 08:56:27 pm »
65K sounds great! Are you near London Ontario? :D

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:59:32 pm »
 ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair