Author Topic: Osage backed walnut?  (Read 2236 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Osage backed walnut?
« on: January 20, 2013, 10:02:27 pm »
Would it be possible?  I really like the way the contrasting woods would look. If you chased the osage ring, then were able to cut 1/8" on a tablesaw and glue to a walnut stave or board, would it be feasible and has anyone tried it?

I see pieces that will be cut off of staves (toward the heart or center of the tree), that are too thin to make a bow that seem possible to use for a backing.  The walnut/osage combo with dark tip overlays would have to be a beautiful bow.

Just brainstorming, while my wood dries.. lol

Online sleek

Re: Osage backed walnut?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 10:12:40 pm »
Worst idea ever. Walnut takes more set than any other word I have ever heard of. Put the osage on the back and you have a bow that will suffer sooooo badly in compression that you are better off making a bow of just raw hide. Maybe.... MAYBE if you trapped the hell out of it. Like a 2 inch wide belly of walnut and a 1/2 wide back of osage. But even then, youare gonna get so much set, there will be no need to brace the bow, the set will keep it in braced profile permanently. Good luck if you give it a go though. I would like to see how you do on it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:20:21 pm »
The color contrast would look cool but i belive sleek is correct the osage would crush the walnut...but the walnut may work as a core
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:23:45 pm »
That's crazy talk in my opinion. Walnut is great! I've only made a few, but that's because I didn't have access to a lot. One self bow, and a couple backed. The self bow ended up with about 1" of set, and the backed bows about the same. Nothin wrong with that. If it does end up with a lot of set, then shoot the snout out of it, and make another bow. ;D ;D  I've never tried backing one with osage, but would be happy to try it. Keep us posted, I would like to see that wood combo.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:31:26 pm »
I am not saying walnut is anything other than great....keep yhe belly flat and cross your fingers...if nothing else you gain knowledge.but obw is asking for it ...imho
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Online sleek

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 10:43:46 pm »
Dave, I would love to see your walnut bow. I have tried several, gave it an honest try. Every bow came out like a wet noodle, and the wood was dry. I have decided that walnut will not make a bow worth a darn, and will never try walnut again, unless somebody can show me a bow that held up without lots of set. Glad it worked for you. Would love to see it.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:50:57 pm »
Although I haven't worked with walnut myself but I've seen enough bows made from it that it can make good bows. I think the tensile strength of osage would overpower the compression strength of the walnut if built like a normal bow. If you want to try it I'd suggest keeping the osage very narrow and trapped to half the width of the belly. I think it's worth a shot.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 10:58:03 pm »
Use the osage as a belly...put walnut as the core...and boo or hickory as a backing strip and now were talking a kick @$$ bow. Walnut is not matched well for osage...theres much better options..match wood properties first...and not just cus they'd look pretty...especially if your a novice builder. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much yet about backed bows...you got lots of rings to chase and selfbows to make...and a good bit before your woods even dry.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 12:35:25 am »
I have to agree that Osage backed walnut would not be ideal.  I won't say it can't be done, just not an ideal combo.  Its not quite the same , but if you have a mix of sapwood and heartwood on walnut it creates quite a striking contrast. 

Sleek, to say walnut won't make a bow is a bit of a silly statement.  There have been to many fine walnut bows  posted on this forum for that statement to hold water.  I will have to say that your not the only one to have trouble with it though.  Some of them are very fine bowyers too.  Here is one example of a walnut bow that is most definitely not a "wet noodle"  this also shows the contrast that I was referring to.  Josh

Online sleek

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 01:23:51 am »
<<<< opens mouth, inserts foot....

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 09:38:31 am »
That's a better example than mine! This is the only pic I could find, it's from about 3-4 years ago. Maple backed walnut. Like I said, I've never backed one with osage, but I'd be happy to try it out, just for the sake of experimentation.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 09:52:41 am »
I think i would replace the walnut with hickory heartwood. Same look but stronger i would think... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....