Author Topic: Anyone in Kansas or Northern Oklahoma?  (Read 13389 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Anyone in Kansas or Northern Oklahoma?
« on: October 17, 2007, 01:14:14 pm »
Is there anyone that comes on here thats in Kansas or northern Oklahoma? Would be nice to be able to find some guys that share the passion for wood bows like I do. I intend to begin building my own soon and can see that having that fellowship would be great.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: Anyone in Kansas or Northern Oklahoma?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 03:24:30 pm »
I'm probably a little far south (Central Oklahoma).  I'm new also and now I can't seem to get enough on the subject.  I've recently learned of a gathering near Stillwater OK called OJAM that's 20-23 March 2008.  Don't know exactly where you are, but Stillwater (Home of the OSU Cowboys) is about 60 miles south of the OK/KS line down I-35 and back east on SH-51.  The link to OJAM is:

http://www.ojam.org/

It also has maps showing the location (actually near a little town of Ripley).  I've got it on the family calendar, so maybe we can gather there. 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 06:12:08 pm »
Thanks Otoe that sounds like fun. stillwater isn't too far. I'm in Derby which is 6mi SE of Wichita but we go to Ark City every weekend to camp on  a lease we have. That will go on the calender for sure.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 10:20:12 pm »
Sidewinder - man your in sage country!!! I've driven up and down I-35 for years, and here recently have drooled all over myself in your area ;D. There's so many Bodark hederows out there - anyway I'd love ta bring a trailer and couple of chain saws............
 You guys should try to make OJAM if ya get the chance next year! Lot's of experience there and comoraderie - you'll enjoy and learn a lot :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:33:34 pm »
Cowboy:  You're an animal.  How could you possibly need more Osage after that posting a while back where you had a truck load?   :o 

OJAM is definitely on my "to do" list. 

Hey Sidewinder:  What about the Flint Hill region northeast of Wichita  Any flint?   :D 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 12:08:28 pm »
Cowboy, I've got the saw, 2 chains, file to sharpen on site, sledge, 2 wedges and permission to take what appears to be a choice tree to me ( just need the shelac and some help. I may go out there and take some pics and post them to see if everyone agrees that this is an exceptional Osage tree. Ever since I got into this and became convinced that Osage is the all around most durable bow wood I've been scouting out these hedge rows. Most of them are only twisted and gnarly from the stiff Ks wind but this one has been sheltered and is mature and looks like it may be hold many wonderful staves. whats funny about it is I kept saying that I wasn't gonna tackle Osage until I had more experience with easier woods and yet I find myself being drawn to it like a moth to the flame.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 12:11:24 pm »
Otoe,  Definitely gonna try and make the Ojam sounds great. I havenet gotten into the knapping yet but I imagine that there is some flint out here hence the name flint hills. I might ask around and see what I can find out and get back to ya later.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 12:48:11 pm »
Otoe - I can never have too much wood ;D, It's the disease......
 Sidewinder: do post some pic's, If ya can't find any good long one's ya could use billets instead. I did take a detour one time to check out the flint hills - stopped at a quarry off in there, they said their wasn't any but i could see some in the rock - didn't look like very good stuff.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 02:34:53 pm »
Hey Sidewinder.  Check out the video on this post. 

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3756.0.html

The NFL used the same music for one of their commercials.  When I first heard it, I thought it was the "Gathering of the Clans" from Braveheart.  Same kind of Celtic fiddle.  Both will stir your blood. 

Otoe

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 06:00:34 pm »
Hey Otoe,  Good stuff. Braveheart is one of my alltime favorites. Just wish "the Bruce " would have grown a pair before they killed William Wallace not after. I think however that song is from Last of the Mohicans when they are chasing down the Hurons just before the best scene in the movie when the last Mohican (Dad) takes the bad guy out with his war ax. The first time I saw that one was in a theater and I lepted out of my seat and screamed "  Yeeeeaaahhh" everyone else was just sitting there like bumps on a log....lol

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 09:22:07 pm »
Sidewinder:  You're right on the music, I think it's called "I Shall Return" or something like that.  Both are good flicks. 

Otoe

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 09:48:59 pm »
I guess I should watch the credits to the video.  "I will find you", Last of the Mohegans.  Duhhhh.   :-[

Otoe

Offline woodbow1

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 10:48:08 am »
Sidewinder,  I am in Wichita.  I live in the S.E. part of town.  How soon are you looking to tackle that tree?

Jeremy

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 12:35:28 pm »
Hallelujah,....  woodbow1. I dunno when do you want to tackle it? I can get a truck but I think we need a trailer but maybe not. Depends on how many staves and  billets we get out of her. I'm gonna go on record and guess that there will be 15 good staves and probably 20 billets. Now not that I have any experience at this but from the way I visualise it on the trunk and the primary mainbeam of the tree. Not saying that some others can't be coaxed from hiding, but the best two sections of the tree look exceptional. We shall see. Why don't you email me at outstandingautos@hotmail.com and I will give you my phone number and we can discuss it further.....Danny

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 12:36:33 pm »
Oh by the way, I failed to mention that I'm in Derby.