Author Topic: New Toy  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Maxspin

New Toy
« on: February 01, 2013, 01:06:05 pm »
I bought a “toy” band saw.
I read all of the recommendations bigger is better need a min of 14” 1HP motor etc.
What it came down to is that even though I have property I do not have a garage or a shop. I needed to be able to pick it up and move it within extension cord range, then put it away. I decided that this would do 90% of what I “needed”. Since the price was right I went ahead and got it. I will replace it with a “real” band saw when/if I build a shop to put it in.
Set it up for the first time yesterday and roughed out two bows. Stayed well outside the lines then moved out to the “shop” to rasp down. Got 2 bows in the time I would have maybe gotten ½ a bow done. I am happy with the investment.

Keith

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: New Toy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 01:31:27 pm »
Any bandsaw is a good bandsaw in my book. Good buy Keith.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 01:49:40 pm »
The most important thing with bandsaws is the setup, blade tension, alignment, etc. after that it is just a matter of maybe having to go a little slower, don't force the wood through. Gotta love bandsaws.
45# at 27"

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:20:29 pm »
i'm in the same boat as you with no real shop, move my bandsaw around with a dolly, look's like that will do the job, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:01:40 pm »
Gopher,
The setup was a mess when I got it home.
As recommended I pulled off the tiny ¼” blade and put on a new 3/8” blade that came with the saw. Played with the alignment and tension. Works much better, but I am no expert.
Still need to order some of the recommended four teeth per inch blades. The one I have is six inch per teeth.

Keith

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 03:04:36 pm »
The aggressive 3-4 tpi are nice, but require some hp's to keep it humming. That 6 tpi on that saw is probably a great match. Try Timberwolf blades and see what you think.

I to have a dolly I move my saw around with. Its my one and only power tool so it stays in the garage and my shop is in the house. It helps keep the dust down a little.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline autologus

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 03:09:24 pm »
I have a 14" Grizzly and that thing weights almost 250# so it sits where its at.  I would like to be able to move it some but its not too bad in the way.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 03:23:46 pm »
I have the same saw Grady. I just slide a board under two front legs and use my two wheel truck to get it out of the garage.

Offline autologus

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 04:05:22 pm »
Hadn't thought of that Pearl thanks, I have been wanting to try some bone arrowheads but didn't want to stink up the basement.  I can just wheel it outside and haul my sander out as well and not worry about stinking up the place.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Adam

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:08:56 am »
Looks good to me!  I'm amazed how often a bandsaw comes in handy for all kinds of jobs.  By the way, who's the little guy looking through the fence in the last picture?

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 12:16:54 am »
There is just 3 things i see wrong here...
1 there is color in your picture other than white
2 you're outside it is not white
3 I look outside and everything here is white
lol I hope it serves you well congratulations!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 01:58:35 pm »
Adam,
That is an Imu. I have to watch what I put on the ledge there. He will eat anything.

Keith

Offline Adam

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 03:25:20 pm »
That's pretty cool!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 04:23:48 pm »
I mounted mine onto a wheeled base, great implovement.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/wheely-good-idea.html
A good quality blade makes a big difference.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.