Author Topic: 200 lb war bow  (Read 23139 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: 200 lb war bow
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 11:37:38 pm »
There's only about one person on this planet that can pull that,that I know of

Theres probably alot more people in this world other than Mark Stretton, probably that frequent this site, that has pulled and shot a 200# bow. But I sure don't know any. Or really know of any. I would make real certain first before you make such a godly bow that the man knows what he is asking of you, and knows what he is gonna get. If I were you, and you don't have a pulley set up, I would charge him from 800 - 1000, just to pay for my own medical bills after I killed myself trying to make the thing,  ;).

EDIT:

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 11:49:28 pm »
That is insane and spells trouble. What's he gonna shoot for an arrow steel rods?

HA. That would be how it blows, after he shoots a lighter arrow / 28" normal shaft with only 125 grain field points for heads,... on a 200# bow,.... ;D Cause you know, handing a wheely guy a warbow, elb, or any type of selfbow, is always a great idea.  >:D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 11:51:59 pm »
Sleek, the thread below "BOWS" here on PA is "English War Bows". Some of the best builders in the world frequent our war bow site.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 12:03:21 am »
He does realise that pulling a 200# compound with 60-85% letoff is a different ball game than a warbow,right? That would be some beast to brace as well.  Maybe a piece of plexiglass in between you and your tillering set up is in order as well. Or a really long rope ;D

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 12:39:38 am »
I like to try new stuff, but personally, I would want to have made a few (dozen?) warbows before I signed on to make somebody a 200 lber. 

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 01:28:26 am »
unless he can shoot a 200lb compound with extream ease I doubt he can shoot a 200lb real bow  ;) well

PS. what the heck do you need a 200lb compound for, killing three elephants with one shot, shooting Down spaceships (maybe he wants to keep them from stealing our Osage   ;D)
I like free stuff.

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 02:23:10 am »
Maybe he is tired of missing a shot cause the deer was on the wrong side of a tree. Now he can shoot through the tree and still hit the deer...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 08:49:51 am »
Maybe he is tired of missing a shot cause the deer was on the wrong side of a tree. Now he can shoot through the tree and still hit the deer...

Rekon the sonic boom from the arrow leaving the bow may scare the deer first!

I would love to see the tiller set-up that some of our members here use for warbow making. I would imagine at-least 3 pulleys to give a decent mechanical advantage so your not pulling that weight all the time. Yes plexiglass and a very long rope would be a definite. Not to mention reinforcing all of your anchor points such as pulley and bow rest.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 08:55:59 am »
makin' it ain't the problem.
The prob will be stringing the darned thing :laugh:.
Seein' as how tillering kids bows is harder than tillering regular bows, it should follow that this will be easy to tiller O:).
Easy... but scarey ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:34 am »
Seems really Dangerous, but I can't wait to see how it turns out.  8)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 10:55:24 am »
Keep in mind that the block and tackle will shorten the amount of string pull, relative to the amount you pull on the rope.Easier to pull ,just have to pull it farther and compensate for how far the stationary pulley is from the bow.Don't forget to post video of you strining it. You could always give hime a small tree with nocks ,and a string ,and tell him when he braces that he's ready for a 200 lb.warbow. ;) Does he currently shoot traditional,and understand the concept, or is he just trying to prove a point. Set a new record ,maybe?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 11:13:57 am »
One question how do you plan on shooting that thing in? I personally like putting at least 300 arrows thru any bow that I gift to anyone.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 11:27:04 am »
One question how do you plan on shooting that thing in? I personally like putting at least 300 arrows thru any bow that I gift to anyone.
he can send it to me! ::)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 11:28:42 am »
makin' it ain't the problem.
The prob will be stringing the darned thing :laugh:.
Seein' as how tillering kids bows is harder than tillering regular bows, it should follow that this will be easy to tiller O:).
Easy... but scarey ;D
Del

I use my tiller tree to string bows that are too heavy to string otherwise. I just draw it out far enough on the long string, and act like the longstring was the stringer. 

EDIT: Stringing it, while you out there, getting ready to shoot it, would be another thing though.  :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 11:32:34 am by toomanyknots »

Offline autologus

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 12:09:25 pm »
Who is this bow being made for Odysseus?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.