Author Topic: 200 lb war bow  (Read 23140 times)

Offline sleek

200 lb war bow
« on: January 16, 2013, 08:38:44 pm »
So, a potential client is asking me if I would build him a 200 lb war bow. ( in my mind I see tillering this thing by hanging an engine block on it while the bow hangs from my cherry picker.) I am thinking of going with elm on this bow, if he decides to go forward with this. This will be a bedny handle, long bow. I will post more if he gives me the green light. Never made a war. Bow before, any advice is welcome!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline tgtmatt

Re: 200 lb war bow
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:23 pm »
200lb? My god. I have no advice but I am ready to see someone pull it back.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 08:45:27 pm »
might get more help on the warbow site,
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 09:00:09 pm »
Use a 2 pulley tillering set up and it will only take 100 lbs of force to draw it.  Just make sure you have a strong enough rope and pulleys
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 09:08:55 pm »
There's only about one person on this planet that can pull that,that I know of....you seriously need to inquire more if this person can really attempt this weight,and should be attempting to pull that....that's no toy and serious injury could happen to him or you as well. Honestly if I didn't have a bunch of experience building several bows over 150+,I would decline to make such a bow for someone,even if I was in dire need of cash. Not trying to be a negative Nancy..just looking at the cons to this situation.

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 09:12:35 pm »
that would be a whole lotta bow.i saw the guy pull 225 on a you tube video.i think he even hurt himself.just think what would happen if that one blew on you while being made.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:26:00 pm »
i absolutely love heavy bows as most fo you know, but even i will admit, check to see if the person has any experience with bows near that weight as he could really get hurt, and also, if you dont have much experience building bows over 150, i would say no, because if it breaks while tillering, you could get seriously hurt( i dont mean to be doubting your skills in any way by that), ill be honest, i sometimes get scared when tillering warbows, although a better tillering system might help
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 09:48:30 pm »
I was told by a family member of this guy that he has a 200 lb compound that was custom made for him. Now, this guy is 6'4" and has biceps bigger than my head. I will see about talking him down on the weight. As far as everything else goes, what is the warbow sight I need to look at? Also, if I go with elm, should I go with elb dimensions, or the moree typical for elm, a crowned back with a flat belly? Thanks for the block and tackle tillering idea. That may save me a hernia.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 09:52:11 pm »
By the way, no offense taken at all for your concern of safety. Thank you all for it, and any other pertinate safety advice is welcome!

Offline RyanY

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 10:14:59 pm »
PM nidrinr over on PP. I think he's built some super heavy footbows of that caliber.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 10:39:51 pm »
For 6' 4'' you are going to be going a little longer than the norm too.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 10:48:36 pm »
Whew!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Roy

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 11:06:59 pm »
That is insane and spells trouble. What's he gonna shoot for an arrow steel rods?

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 11:10:28 pm »
That is insane and spells trouble. What's he gonna shoot for an arrow steel rods?
no, you shoot smaller bows which then subsequently shoot normal arrows  ::)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 11:20:45 pm »
About 3 weeks ago I was exercising a White oak bow. I had my foot on the handle.."Stupid"  ??? ???..........On the 7th pull a limb snapped, the piece slapped my forearm and went flying down the hall at a 45 degree angle behind me.
It all happended in a nano second, I still get the heee beee jeeebee's thinking about it. The broken end was jagged as they come.
Still have my face intact, Luckily. I will back all these board bows from now on.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell