Author Topic: Pin Cherry Bow  (Read 13646 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: Pin Cherry Bow
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 07:22:11 pm »
Your wife deserves an award for that one! Sucks that happened but I am still laughing!

Offline Will H

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 07:45:08 pm »
What's the Ol sayin... If you ain't breakin u ain't makin... Oh well. Go grab some sage and get back on the horse. :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline bow101

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 07:50:26 pm »
Oh well, lesson learned and proved to you and us all, although cherry makes nice furniture wood..!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 08:00:36 pm »
I think that braced tiller looks good.No full draw pic so can't tell.Must of been working too much on the inner limbs by where it broke or did it migrate from somewhere else like the handle?.Or just a bad spot in limb there.Well your way ahead of the average I'd say for successful bows anyway.That still is a heck of a picture your wife caught.
The sinew from that ERC that delaminated on me turned into a shallow C like an Asiatic bow.Still got wood stuck to it throughout the length of the sinew.Turn it around to brace and it looks like a strung Asiatic bow profile......LOL.I hung it up in the kitchen on an antler rack for a conversation piece....LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 08:14:18 pm »
Onebow...I do have a very thin soul...this ain't my first,second,third etc..to blow...well you get the point. Its really no big deal...I was just glad my wife got it captured on film.

Thanks Bryce...glad I could entertain ya ;)

Thanks 4est...yup..this is the reality of building bows...I've had my fair share go as well...I still don't do the safety glasses thing yet tho.

Greg not a whole lot of time really went into this one...it was a simple straightforward build,and I didn't have to get the heat gun out...I just made it as is. But I still had fun building it n shooting it while it lasted,and that's one of the things I really enjoy.

Paul I told my wife she deserves an award for getting that pic..it came out a lil blurry cus it was so loud and startled her as well...glad your laughing too :)

Yup will ole buddy I think I'm gonna go grab me an osage stave now ;)

Bow101..the lesson is cherry is too brash and a last resort wood...if you live in an area that has 3 dozen better available woods..why use it? Can it make a bow? Sure..but its like a box of cracker jacks...ta never know what your gonna get inside...too unpredictable when I have so many other woods that have a much higher success rate.

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 08:28:00 pm »
   That picture is one for the archives, aaawwsome!!!

Ok, when you have a tension fracture does that mean you could back it, and the belly was stronger in compression than the back in tension?

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 08:28:21 pm »
Chis, with it's break do to a tension fracture, do you think that cherry would work with a sinew back?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline autologus

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 08:28:31 pm »
Sure was pretty while it lasted.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 08:32:05 pm »
Yeah, never put cherry on my list to try even though its abundant here, probably forgo an attempt at it myself. I have enough trouble
with the more tolerant woods let alone something fickle. Not trashing cherry as a bow just not confident I want to try a wood that will
fail if I made a few mistakes and unlike you Chris Im pretty slow at building a bow no matter what bow design or wood I choose.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 08:35:13 pm »
That was a sweet looking bow.
Rob

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 08:46:31 pm »
One of the best action shots I've ever seen! That was a beauty.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 08:49:36 pm »
Hey, remember guys, if you aint breaking you aint making! even blackhawk needs to break a few to be a bowyer!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

blackhawk

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 09:27:50 pm »
Chuck..most all cherries are just plain weak in tension...they are ok enough in compression,and there can be several factors that can lead to a tension break

Dave I think some cherries wood be ok with a sinew back and wood be a fine bow,but I think there's still other better woods to use sinew on than cherry...I'm sure sinew would've held this one together if 3 or more courses were used to take ALL the tension,but I doubt rawhide would've even kept this one together.

Thanks Grady..yeah it was pretty,and cherry finishes really nice under a finish

Yeah dont waste your time Greg ;)

Thanks rob.....WAS is the key word...lol :)

Yup Hrothgar...glad we got that shot ;)

Yes muffinman....I am human and I do break wood just like everyone else...its inevitable,and if you continue to make bows its bound to happen eventually no matter how well you design and tiller a piece of wood.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 11:09:03 pm »
Let just hope your build-a-long bow doesn't end up like that. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline RyanY

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 12:07:12 am »
Ha. Way to make some fun out of a bad break. Looked really good. Too bad it didn't work out. It sure is the worst to have one break even after shooting and finishing.