Author Topic: Pin Cherry Bow  (Read 13644 times)

blackhawk

Pin Cherry Bow
« on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:56 pm »
This is a Pin Cherry bow known as prunus pensylvanica...aka fire cherry,bird cherry. Its basically a shrubby tree that grows in a nasty mess. I walked a 200+ yard hedgerow of this stuff and only found one semi suitable stave. I could not find any documented use of this kind of cherry for bows,and we can now check this one off the list.  ;)

This is an unbacked bend in the handle cherry bow 52" drawing 70@27".....weighs 12.4 ounces....osage tip overlays.... red dye on the back....and a natural yellow hued belly.

Offline autologus

Re: Pin Cherry Bow
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 05:48:56 pm »
That is a beauty, and powerful too.

Beauty and the Beast.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:50:26 pm »
Really cool bow Hawk. Surprised at the draw weight with such a low mass.  That must be some strong wood relative to mass. Did you heat treat?

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »
Great finish work on that one, sweet braced profile to. The belly has Yewey look to it. And where is the full draw pic of this "bow".
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 06:03:59 pm »
ooops....I forgot the full draw pic.....forgive me guys

here it is

pfhahahahahahahahahaha  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:     LMFAO!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe my wife caught it....funny stuff...im ok...got a welt on me hand tho. lol  :laugh: weird thing was I had just shot some arrows out of it right before the full draw pic....timing is everything and impeccable....ok...the real stats were 54" drawing 45@25"....i was going to try and mess with you all and wait to put up the real stats n full draw shot tomorrow,but my conscious just wouldn't allow me to fool a bunch of folks...im just too darned honest... I had put close to a hundred arrows thru it...held it back at full draw multiple times to prove its self before I sealed it. it was a pleasant shooter...lol.

heres a detail of the break in tension

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 06:06:40 pm »
Sucka!!!!!!!!!! I absolutely love it! And so do you! I heard it was super wood capable of screaming fast bows, like no other. Must be you gotta bad piece.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 06:11:42 pm »
So this is that cherry.WOW!!!Great color finish/weight,length and tiller.The handle's a bit wide for me but still a great example of what that wood can do.Nice job.Do ya think it's as dense as choke cherry?It must be in the .80s.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 06:14:49 pm »
I'm sorry it failed, but that's one heck of an action shot!

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 06:16:06 pm »
Bummer there BlackHawk - maybe some Eye and Ear protection next time  O:) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 06:16:27 pm »
That sucks.Who messed with who now......LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 06:24:34 pm »
your right pal....I do love it  :laugh:   I think its hilarious

ed ...might wanna take another look at that tiller....it don't look so good to me ;)  :laugh:   it was only an 1 1/4" wide at the arrow pass,and the limbs were 1 1/2" wide for 2/3+ before I tapered to the tips....I didn't tiller per mass with this one,but I did do a calculation after the bow was done n shot in,and it came out two ounces heavy,so there was some safety factor built in it....yet it still blew because its cherry and its crappy wood. I made this one unbacked on purpose knowing fully well what I was getting myself into. gotchya buddy  ;)

don't feel sorry at all adam.....I don't feel bad about it at all...altho I did drop the F bomb pretty loud cus it startled me like a gun shot being fired behind me without me knowing.

yeah maybe chamookman...its all fun n games till someone gets there eye poked out  ;)  8)

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 06:37:22 pm »
I was like "WOW!  Kuul Stats!  ...but where's the FD pic?  BH knows better than to leave off the FD pic!  He gives people heck for failing to provide one!"

...and Then POW!  Sorry Mr. Hawk sir.  While I'm sure most of us can't appreciate your humanity and think you to be something just short of a deity when it comes to Bowyering; ...I feel certain that in some small place in the back of your mind and heart you ache and cry just like us mere mortal bowyers when one of your babies blows up.  I'm sure each one takes a slivered bit of your soul with it as it passes into the flames, or becomes a tomato stake, or gets sawn into bits to make tip overlays and handles.   

...of course by now, you must have a very thin and whittled down soul!  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:53:41 pm »
Hahahahahahaha OMGOSH! That was great!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 06:58:19 pm »
Man, sorry for the break.  Great looking bow with a lot of great work put into it.  I find myself wearing safety glasses through the entire build process, even through the shooting in period.  Not very "primitive," but I've filled my shorts with just enough bow explosions to learn my lesson.  Hope your hand heals up soon.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 07:00:37 pm »
Well thats a drag Chris :(
Having tested it and shot her in and then putting a finish on it and then having it blow on you. Not to mention harvesting, seasoning,
and working it into a bow. That bow was a beauty too, I was oohing & aahing as I was viewing those first few pics and thinking 52"
and 70# from cherry? Never worked any kind of cherry myself and may never after seeing that. It was pretty cool that your wife
caught it on camera though. Glad to hear your not to upset about it. ;D
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.