Author Topic: Red Oak Trade (Unfinished Pics Added)  (Read 7318 times)

Offline Kenny H

• still learning!!!!!!!!!
Re: Tiller Check Fellas (Full Draw Added)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 09:22:52 pm »
I'm no expert by any means but I think it looks very good. You have done a great job on it so far.
Kenneth Hughes

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Re: Tiller Check Fellas (Full Draw...Getting there?)
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 10:12:13 pm »
Thanks guys I worked a little more tonight and am now going to let it rest over night... Is it looking closer or what? I still have around three pounds to work with in poundage.

Thanks for your input fellas.. hoping to shape the handle tomorrow and then shoot in time!!!!

Another question real quick... this bow has taken about an inch or two (more like two) of set... can I put this on a form and then heat the belly with veggie oil covering the wood like 'sage?

Justin

Offline kid bow

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:17:35 pm »
id probably steam it buddy if its two inches or more i would steam it back straight. then let it set for a day or two in a dark cool closet
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 10:22:37 pm »
Well my thought on dray heat is because of the rawhide backing. I put it on with TB3 and if it gets water to it I don't want it to lift off... what about that issue?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 10:31:24 pm »
I wouldnt do anything more than finish it off.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 10:33:30 pm »
Sounds good Pearl... how about the tiller?

Offline Roy

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 11:14:27 pm »
The tiller sucks, so just sand it and stain it. LOL

Looks nice Justin.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 08:17:38 am »
Looks good to me, the only way to heat it with rawhide is very slow and then you are taking a chance on it lifting,I have done it several time but really don't like to.
Nice job on the tiller. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 10:39:16 am »
Looks pretty good. I didn't see how long the stave was. It seems short for 30 in. I do see a funky area on the upper limb right around the board line on the upper limb. It could be an optical illusion because of the line. 2 in of set is pretty normal for bow making. I don;t think I would touch anything. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 12:14:03 pm »
The bow is 64 inches tip to tip... 1 1/2 inches at the fades n 1/2 tips or so. I couldn't believe I could get 30 inch draw but I did. I am only drawing it to 28 ( I am shorter than my recipient) today I will fix the top limb and shape the handle. Nothing fancy for a design just a smooth and comfy bulbous one. I will put some pics up later tonight.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 12:19:00 pm »
Justin now you know why you have the set you do. At that draw length you should have considered 68-72" ntn and about 2" wide. Keep in mind your current bow is fine and dandy, but next time adjust that recipe some and most of that set will be gone.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 01:30:27 pm »
I think that this bow is pretty impressive.  While you did incur 2" of set, you've built a stiff handled red oak board bow drawing 50# @ 30", that is 64" long.  That is a tad underbuilt by most standards, and pushing the limits of what Red Oak can do, but your tillering job was very good, and Red Oak can bend, so the bow held together.  And for your second bow? I'd say - Well done!

Do you know if the board was plain sawn, rift sawn or quarter sawn?

Thanks,

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 03:42:00 pm »
You guys on PA are the best. Again this is only my second bow/first red oak bow. It is my beginner mistake for making it under built. I hate super long bows and since I hunt everything with a traditional bow (hence my name lol) I wanted to keep it as short as I could. My BBO bow I made was 1 1/4 inch at the fade so I thought another 1/4 inch would give me what I needed. Guess not so it has some set. I got to shoot the bow some today which for only being my second I am very very pleased. Its not a screamer but since I have nothing else to go on it is very smooth in the hand and at around 12 yards shoot exactly where I point. I am finishing the handle section right now and making a new string.

My question to you guys is would you all be bummed or pleased with this bow? I still need to stain it and shoot it a tad more but wanted your input if I should start another one. This bow took me three weeks to build from start to finish. I can't bang them out like some of the great bowyers on this sight.

Again guys your input is more than welcome and any constructive criticism is welcomed! I will put up some pictures in a bit of the bow.... 8)

Respectfully,
Justin
New Hampshire

Offline Roy

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 03:45:43 pm »
Justin there hain't a damn thing wrong with it son.

Be proud of it and hunt with it.

Offline autologus

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 03:56:11 pm »
Who wouldn't be pleased with it, I would be tickled pink with it.  You have done a great job on it, I can't wait to see it finished.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.