Author Topic: Draw Knife  (Read 12713 times)

Offline Josh Shuck

Re: Draw Knife
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 11:41:06 pm »
The older,duller and rustier the better in my book.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 01:15:09 am »
I don't know how you guys use the straight blades.  I have one straight and one curved.   I need the curved 100% of the time to work into depressions without cutting through high spots, or around knots, etc.  I use the straight for really rough work like hogging big chunks to get to a ring or remove tons of bark.

Offline swimbill

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 11:05:11 am »
Well it appears that I will continue my search for a vintage knife, thanks for all the feedback
Swimbill

Offline Patches

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 03:20:21 pm »
I found two nice old drawknives at teh local secand hand store for $20 each.  There is no comparison between them and the cheap made drawknife I wasted $15 on at Menards. 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 12:37:51 am »
I found two nice old drawknives at teh local secand hand store for $20 each.  There is no comparison between them and the cheap made drawknife I wasted $15 on at Menards.

I suffered and suffered with the P.O.S. drawknife I wasted money on at Menards, too.  I wasted time and effort on that dang thing for years.  I spent money on good drawfiles to sharpen it, thinking that would help, but the IRON (it would be a lie to call it steel) was so soft even pine would cause the edge to roll over!!!  One day I got p.o.'d and threw it in the brush on the hill behind the house and went back inside.  Half a cup of coffee later I was still so mad I went out, climbed the hill, found the rotting piece of crap and threw it even further!

If you don't buy a good antique, then brace yourself and go to a high end tool catalog and spend $60 or more on something well made.  You are going to have to part with that kind of money if you don't spend the $20 or so on an antique.  Either way, get a good quality fine draw file for sharpening. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 05:32:24 am »
Hmmm, I wonder what popularity this will win me. But I just love a good ole lawn mower blade. They take a good edge and sharpen easily. I have used one lots of times. Even used to have one with welded on lag bolt handles...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 10:38:31 pm »
Does the phrase, "crude but effective" mean anything to you?

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 10:56:33 pm »
I have several old ones i picked up at flea markets, but my favorite go to draw knife is one i made out of an old leaf spring. Its real heavy and is great at holding an edge. I can rip right thru osage withit a lot faster than any of the others i have.
Steve Bennett

Offline sleek

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 11:11:53 pm »
Naw JW, that phrase is lost on me ;) You know what, I bet you I could get a lawnmower blade,modify it a touch with regular old hand tools, and make a bow of it start to finish, including chopping down the tree. So many new folks ask what tools they need and get a long varying list. Shoooot.... all dey need iza lawnmower blade. It'll whack a gud un into dat der stave.... shee ooot haveryeslf a shootin bow in no time, jus like that.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2013, 12:28:44 am »
Crude, but effective

>:D

Would that be a sling bow?

Offline randman

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2013, 01:07:46 am »
I'm with J-dub Antique is the only way to go. They are everywhere, cheap and the steel is not like anything you are going to buy today without spending a ton of cash.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:57 am »
Reckon it would be....

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 09:38:00 am »
LOL, Roy. I'm old and so are my dknives. But I'm still pretty sharp and so are my dknives. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 08:02:52 am »
Add me to the list for older drawknives. I recently added another to my toolbox from a local antique store. It has adjustable handles. Pretty cool.... 8)
Oh and I am still younger than my drawknives... well, at least most of them. :)

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2013, 06:35:53 pm »
Add me to the list for older drawknives. I recently added another to my toolbox from a local antique store. It has adjustable handles. Pretty cool.... 8)
Oh and I am still younger than my drawknives... well, at least most of them. :)
Wow are they made of stone?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO