Author Topic: Draw Knife  (Read 12711 times)

Offline swimbill

Draw Knife
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:52:11 pm »
I am planning to get a drawknife to use on my first bow from an osage stave.  The question I have is should I look for an old vintage one or buy brand new.  Brand new seems to be very pricey.  What do you experienced guys think?
Swimbill

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: Draw Knife
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 02:56:16 pm »
Well, considering that most older draw-knives were well made, i would say go with an older one, even if the handles are rotten you can always replace them! new ones are so pricey and it seems like they arnt made to last like the old ones, granted there are still people out there who make awesome hand-forged ones, but it will cost you a pretty penny(well, more like a ben franklin or something. If it has rust on it, just inspect it to see if it still has its structure in tact, if its just got a coat of rust it shouldnt be a problem. This is what i plan to do when i get around to it, maybe even take some osage and turn them into handles  ::) (i would, but it would be scraps lol)
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 02:57:49 pm »
I got mine from three rivers back in '04 and love it. Straight blade and Osage handles. It was like $40. Since then I've acquired a few vintage ones from yard sales and the like but have never liked the old curved blade style for chasing rings. But I know alot of guys who use them with great results. I think it's all about what you learn on ;)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:17:52 pm »
I love my antique ones.  Check your local craigslist.  I see them posted on there once and a while.  Try to get one with a clean blade of you go with an older one.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:25:18 pm »
I used a couple of different vintage ones that I picked up from garage sales for next to nothing.  Then I ended up shelling out some big bucks (almost $60) when I found a hefty new drawknife at a forestry supply store.  I found it online later for much less (~35).  It is the meatiest drawknife I have used or even seen and I like it for hogging off wood and chasing a ring.  There is one on ebay right now, just search Koch Drawknife.  The only thing about this drawknife I dont like is that the handle arrangement makes sharpening all the way to the edge of the blade somewhat tricky. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 06:39:34 pm »
I have 35 old drawknives so you can tell what my preference is.  I get them from antique shops, usually for $15-25.  I have skinny blades, thick, curved, straight, and 6" to 12".  I personally find a straight, skinny 8" blade works well for me but it also has to do with the angle of the blade compared to the handles.  Some people use them upside down, that is, bevel facing down.  i think thats just them finding the angle that fits properly.

Just be sure the blade isn't pitted  on the back, otheriwse you won't be able to put a good edge on it.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 07:19:23 pm »
Some guys, myself included, prefer to use the draw knife unsharpened, for chasing rings.  I find that the dull knife coupled with using it bevel down keeps me from going to deep on any one pass.  As a result, I don't worry about having to sharpen mine, since I very rarely do.   When the time comes to sharpen, though, I either bring it to an old time sharpening service or I put the knife in my vice and bring the stone to the knife, as opposed to the other way around. 

Russ

Offline Roy

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 07:23:22 pm »
The old ones are the best. I have 4 of my Grand Paps old draw knives and I'm 64, they gotta be 50 to 60 years old. Flea markets are the place to find them cheap cheap.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 07:34:23 pm »
Mine was handed down to me from my grandpa and it was made in 1837. Best piece of steel I own.

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 08:46:17 pm »
I watched Ebay for a year before I found a draw knife.
I caught the auction ending and snagged up a Greenley with a 10'' cutting blade surface for $34.45  ;D
I use it taper side up for gnawing off wood from the back to rough dimensions, and taper side down for chasing rings.
When it comes to sharpening, I use a fine stone, and run the stone from top of tapper to the cutting edge, then flip it over,
lay the stone flat and lightly remove the bur along the back edge. Best money I have spent in a long time.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 08:49:28 pm »
I don't have a new one to compare them to, but I use a couple really old ones that I think my father probably used on the farm 70 years ago. If you can visit a farm auction chances are you will find a very good used one for under $10.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline carpentertimw

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 09:25:22 pm »
check real live auctions also, not just ebay. I got my choice of about half a dozen draw knives for $12 dollars each. :-)  I got the best two. :-)

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 09:32:56 pm »
my favorite is a keen cutter.i got it at an antique mall for 30 dollars.i have quite a few,but all of them are old.they had better steel back then in my opinion.buy an old one if you can,they are great
Middletown,Ohio

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 09:33:25 pm »
I'm old and so are my dknives. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Roy

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 10:50:29 pm »
We know that Jawge:)