Author Topic: Spokeshave  (Read 5336 times)

Offline lostarrow

Re: Spokeshave
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 11:22:31 pm »
A spokeshave has it's uses, but takes  allot of use to master. I use them on about 1/2 of the bows I make. It's definitely not for every bow or bowyer. If you know someone close by that can use one well ,it will take a bunch of the frustration out of it for you, otherwise you will likely find it chatters ,tears chunks out  ,jambs up and then sits (or is thrown ) into the corner.If you really want one , than more power to you! I like them ,but not a tool for everyone, and  not for every situation. I've been using them since I was about 10 ( weird kid / misspent youth?)  and I think I have them figured out  30 years later ??? If you do decide to get one ,I'll see about putting up a few pointers on a post . Hell, maybe if I get time I'll do it anyway.   What you want is one with positive feed adjustment and a good thick blade. From there it's all about tuning and technique.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 03:50:03 am »
The best spokeshave type tool I have found for making bows is the bowers edge from dean torges. Its different in that the angle of the blade is not set at a 45 its straight up and down. I've found it works well on lots of different woods. It's like a scraper on steroids :)

I seen Will use this and it looks like a winner.  I'm gonna try to find one for sure.  Not been lucky so far in finding one tho!
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 10:37:30 am »
  I believe this is the same Idea as the bowyers edge that you are talking about. They've been around for centuries in various sizes and shapes. You could also make your own  if you were so inclined. Veritas also makes one like a spokeshave. I'm sure anywhere that sells quality woodworking tools will have similar at a range of prices .(Not familiar with the American stores but I'm sure you know them)You might be able to find them at antique stores as well.

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 11:45:40 am »
I have a few rasps (Farriers, 4in1, and one medium tooth with a handle) but I don't like 'roughing up' the bow when I'm nearing completion. So I usually just use my mora as a scraper. Unfortunatly, it doesn't take off much wood at a time.

Since spokeshaves seem to have mixed reviews, Do yall have any suggestions regarding scrapers.

I'm all for multi purpose tools. If I buy something I prefer it be able to 'do it all', so the more versatile the better. Also, inexpesnive is better.  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 11:53:46 pm »
Spokeshaves wouldn't be my choice for final tiller . Too risky. It's a tool that I use between Bandsaw/ Drawknife /Hatchet and the scraper for final tiller.The spokeshave just evens out humps and dips left by roughing out. If your tiller is good go on to a scraper to reduce weight and put the finishing touches on your bend. Just a plain old card scraper/cabinet scraper. People call them by different names but it is just a flat hard piece of steel,the size of a playing card. Lots of info on the net about use and sharpening ,I'm sure. If it takes you more than 3-4 minutes to sharpen it, you chose the wrong video ;).  You can rework the edge a few times before resharpening as well and that should only take a minute or so for two sides. These will follow contours and soft grain,so they take a little skill as well.  The pic of the tool I posted is  just a holder for card scrapers,essentially. It uses the principal of a plane/shave to even out the humps and valleys .

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 12:10:28 am »
About time a spokeshave Master jumps in. 

But I will speak up instead.

I happen to love spokeshaves.  I have gone thru several Stanley's.  I learned how to tune them up and use them properly.  Unfortunately I didn't learn to not drop them on concrete floors.  The cast iron bodies can be a little delicate. 

Eventually I graduated to a Veritas spoke shave from Lee Valley Tools.  Yeah, it's 4x more expensive than the Stanleys, but the tool bed is machined to tolerences varying less than a 0.001 so that when the blade is installed and tightened, it beds flawlessly to the tool body.  This seriouslycuts down on chattering.  The blade I chose is the A2 carbon steel, and lemme tell you, it's seriously hard stuff to sharpen.  But it cuts cured osage like it's styrofoam!

I like the fine adjustments I can make to the tool and how I can control how much material I remove at a pass.  If you learn to read grain, a spokeshave works just fine, you just pick your battles. 

The spokeshave is just another tool in the chest.  It does not replace a scraper nor a rasp.  Nor does the scraper or rasp replace the chisel and mallet.  The chisel and mallet does not replace the saw.  Plus, the Veritas spokeshave is just plain pretty to look at!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh Shuck

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 12:20:25 am »
I've found that a spoke shave works pretty good on a round belly with straight grained wood.  For everything else, most other tools work better.