Author Topic: Spokeshave  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

Spokeshave
« on: January 15, 2013, 11:00:31 am »
I've decided my Bow tool collection needs one of these and I have an amazon gift card burning a hole in my pocket so do any of yall have suggestions for a spokeshave?

Also, any advice in use or technique?
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Spokeshave
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:07:55 am »
I don't like a spokeshave for building bows...except maybe for yew or ERC. My go tools are a draw knife, a rasp or 2 and a scraper.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 11:10:15 am »
What PatB said,I know folks that use them,I think their is a learning curve to them that I just haven't taken the time to master.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stefan

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 11:48:10 am »
I like spokeshaves a lot, dont know how much you are willing to spend...

I have had succes with the older stanley spokeshave (nr 151 if I am correct), not so much with the newer ones. You definitly need one with a flat bottom but I bet you already knew that, I dont have experience with low angle spokeshaves.

When using a spokeshave on the belly of a bow (lets say a flatbow) try to make the belly a little round, that way you wont experience any chatter of the blade.

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:54:09 am »
spokeshaves seem to be best for...well uhh...spokes!  tapering jobs.
not as good on surfaces where grain rises and falls,because unless they're razor sharp they can dig in and rip chunks.
If I had one of those gift cards I'd be tempted to get one of those heavy duty perferated rasps
where the material can exit through the diamond shaped holes....  what are they called? i obviously don't have one
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 12:00:33 pm »
spokeshaves seem to be best for...well uhh...spokes!  tapering jobs.
not as good on surfaces where grain rises and falls,because unless they're razor sharp they can dig in and rip chunks.
If I had one of those gift cards I'd be tempted to get one of those heavy duty perferated rasps
where the material can exit through the diamond shaped holes....  what are they called? i obviously don't have one

I believe you are referring to the Shinto rasp.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 12:04:20 pm »
...or a Surform.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline LimbLover

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 12:19:56 pm »
My inlaws just bought me a Stanley for Christmas. Unfortunately my father-in-law sharpened the blade up for me  :o

I'm sure there is a learning curve, as you say, but I'm a lot more comfortable with a scraper and a Sureform at this point. I can't control the spokeshave as easily and it tends to chatter. I probably have to dull the blade a bit and mess with the depth. I have the least amount of blade showing right now but it still wants to cut too deep.

I would go the rasp or Sureform route if I were you.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 12:26:39 pm »
i had a spoke shave. but i broke it. In my opinion, get yourself a cabinetmakers rasp. a 6-8 grain is what id use for rough tiller and shaping, and because thats the main tool i learned to use along side the cabinet scraper when i learned from bryce. simply put, you can get a very nice tiller using the rasp and scraper, and with a surform rasp and drawknife you can get the rough shape of the bow.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Stefan

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 12:28:31 pm »
@limblover  Why should you dull a blade?  it will increase chatter. Are you sure that  have inserted the blade correctly?
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 12:49:21 pm »
Like Stefan suggests I think a very sharp spokeshave is the way to go..and very fine setting also.  A spoke shave is useful wth even wood. Because of the foot of the spoke shave it doesn't handle uneven wood for me.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 02:31:34 pm »
Grady, yep! the Shinto rasp!
 thats where MY money would go, though i've never used one. just how good are they compared to a standard rough cutting rasp?   
I've just never enjoyed using sureforms, though i have two....they take off too little, and sometimes its like fingers on a chalk board
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Will H

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 03:04:18 pm »
The best spokeshave type tool I have found for making bows is the bowers edge from dean torges. Its different in that the angle of the blade is not set at a 45 its straight up and down. I've found it works well on lots of different woods. It's like a scraper on steroids :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Patches

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 03:10:16 pm »
I like the Shinto rasp. Takes alot of wood off though if you really bear down on it :o.  I bought a spokeshave, but so far it has been used for working on arrows and debarking saplings.   
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 06:43:08 pm »
The best spokeshave type tool I have found for making bows is the bowers edge from dean torges. Its different in that the angle of the blade is not set at a 45 its straight up and down. I've found it works well on lots of different woods. It's like a scraper on steroids :)
+1 to the Bowyers Edge, although I can do about as good with a good sharp cabinet scraper.  To me, the best way to go for tillering is a Nicholson 49 cabinetmakers rasp and a cabinet scraper.  I do like the Shinto for bringing a piece down to floor tiller in a hurry.  I have a couple of spokeshaves and have never found them to work for my purposes.  Pat's right about them working on straight-grained wood though.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO