Author Topic: Ammo  (Read 6521 times)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
Re: Ammo
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 12:29:29 pm »
The russians say we are a bunch of out of control gun nuts.Russia's Murder rate is triple ours.They severely restrict private ownership of guns. (Wonder why that isn't in the news) I think that Clinton's gun ban showed everyone what the government is thinking these days and suspect that public safety isn't the main reason for gun control. I don't have any black rifles,but I have a real nice brown one(Ruger Mini-14) that shoots straight and is good for coyotes for out there a ways.I have about a hundred hunting rounds for it and went to buy some more the other day at a store that had a couple of pallets of it just before Christmas...nope !... Don't know when there will be more......Guys are buying anything they can get as an investment..Well...Better get to building some arrows.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 01:59:05 pm »
Apparently the guns and ammo scare has carried even carried into the world of flintlocks.  I took my son to a local outdoors store just to get out of the house last night and walk around.  I figured I'd pick up a few of cans of blackpowder when I was there, too.  Ha!  Turns out the price jumped from $18/lb to $30/lb in the last month.  Luckily, I'm not in short supply "yet", so I decided to pass until the scare dies down. 

Handguns and semi-auto rifles were sure flying off the shelves, and all the clerks were busy on the phones trying to get through to run the instant background checks.  It seemed like they were all on hold the whole time I was there. 

I used to shoot competitively with my grandfather growing up (.22 silhouette, NRA/DCM service rifle matches with M-1 Garands and AR-15's), but never bought my own once I grew up and stopped shooting matches.  I'm not into modern firearms much, but I sure would like a Garand, though.  I loved getting in a steady groove with that old "battle rifle".  Unfortunately, it just never quite made it high enough up on my priority list.  I may need to rethink that.  They're getting harder to find and more expensive all the time.  These talks of bans definitely don't help.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 10:03:53 pm »
Bet Obama and Biden have a portfolio that includes large recent stock buys in ammo companies. O:) This crap happens every time a democrat either gets in (remember the surge in sells when obama got elected?) or tries to tighten laws on weapons. I feel that the more you buy and spend (especially AT INCREASED prices) will show the manufacturers what people are willing to spend.....I think people are screwing themselves in the long run........it is EASY to raise prices in a panic.....not so easy for those prices to come down when this is all over. I find it laughable that people think "if" they came to your door to collect your guns 99.9% of the people would give them up (if they knew for a fact you had them) there are very few people that would have the balls to actually show them the barrel end. my .02

VMB
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:11:00 pm by vinemaplebows »
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 12:33:51 am »
Guys, any more politics and I'm cutting this off!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 12:52:59 pm »
I'm shocked this hasn't been shut down yet. The political line has been crossed long ago.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 01:26:59 pm »
The problem with conspiracy theories is they don't have to be proven or factual.
  This thread is about "Ammo" or the lack of it. Lets keep it factual and on track(as long as it can be discussed on PA) and not bring any conspiracy theories into it. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2013, 07:50:31 pm »
Went to the Gun Show today. It wasn't very crowded but everybody said Saturday it was full of all kinds of people buying up everything. There were plenty of 5.56 30 round magazines for $45, the ammo had jumped to $70 for a hundred. 22 ammo was very scarce as was any Ruger 25 and 50 round magazines for the 10/22. Only one 50 rnd in the whole place and my buddy bought it. I sold a military rifle and ammo and would have sole my A-4 if someone would have paid the ridiculous price I was asking ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 03:15:36 am »
I am saving now for an M4.  I need one.  May need to take out a second mortgage way things are now.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Stringman

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 06:21:12 pm »
My wife recently tried to persuade me to sell my small arsenal. Seems she thinks the kitchen reno would be a better use of that money. I just scowled...

Scott

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2013, 08:34:02 pm »
The way it sounds I better get to making more arrows I might need them !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2013, 10:52:18 pm »
I went Saturday to a tiny gun shop in my little town.  The only ammo that I really needed was some .17 cals for my squirrel, woodchuck and 'coon getter.  They had only one pack left (which I bought at 14.99)  It was half that a year ago.  I guy came into the store the day before and bought a case of it.  The store owner said that he tried to order more and the manufacturers didn't have any left to sell him.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 01:04:47 am »
The wal-mart in town stocks ammo at 5 AM.  There's a 6 item limit and ammo is gone by 7AM.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Stoker

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2013, 02:29:28 pm »
Went to the store yesterday to find some LR magnum primers. The guy behind the counter smiled and shook his head no. Bought 357 jsp's and they were on sale  :o nobody loading these? Not a 223 brass to be seen.
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2013, 03:42:15 pm »
This has been a great marketing plan for the NRA and the gun and ammo manufacturers. They work well together.  ;)

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2013, 04:04:47 pm »
Couldn't a gree more Pat...I refuse to buy while people are being suckered.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.