Author Topic: Ammo  (Read 6522 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Ammo
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 12:24:55 am »
And for all the frenzy and panic, I can't see any reason whatsoever to buy an AR-15 platform in any caliber, or any conformation.  I personally think it is a crappy, cheap, stamped metal spray-n-pray gun for people unwilling to learn marksmanship.  Same for the AK's and all those military style guns.  I just can't see why someone wants them?

But then, I have several one of a kind, custom built flintlocks.  And not one of them hasn't provided me with multiple meals.  One has been successfully presented as an arguement as to why I should get to live another day.  And yes, I also own a walnut stocked Remington 700 in .243, and a Taurus 1911/45, among other modern weapons, so I am not totally lost in the past. 

And there are going to be a bunch of posts whipping up support for the AR platform, maybe even the other de-commissioned military arms.  And respectfully, I will decline to read any of it.  You'd do better trying to convince me to go down and get fitted for a new Matthews compound.  And that sure as heck ain't happening either.  My philosphy just won't allow me to understand the attraction. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 01:04:26 am »
Well JW, you have a right to your opinion. No matter how ill informed it is.  Just as I have a right to own my AR's, AK's, FAL's and various other rifles that I own.  Regardless of how much that right is resented.  So, I'll make a deal with you.  Don't piss on my parade and I'll try not to piss on yours.  Josh

Offline johnston

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 03:39:47 am »
I have to admit it. I ain't one of the "big tent" kinda guys. Just because it's a form of hunting or shooting  doesn't mean
I am a fan and in fact some of it I want no part of. Hunting in fences ( except to run dogs..no killing) or 800 yard rifle
shots with "long range systems" or wheelies with bow mounted range finders etc, etc.
BUT...
Americans have a history of adopting our military arms for hunting. Witness the .30 caliber military round of 1906,
better known as the .30-06. And when current handguns of the time proved insufficient for war Mr. Browning gave us the
almighty 1911 in .45 acp. Hell boys, when I started trying to find bows of my native southeast to copy I discovered that as
quick as they could the natives adopted firearms.

Everyone has an opinion and likewise everyone has a preference. I have no interest in an AR platform nor in a muzzle loader.
But having shot a few 3-gun matches and hunted on a couple black powder only dove fields I can appreciate the skill and understand
the required dedication to both.

My interests fall somewhere in the 1920's firearm wise. And I fully believe the last man standing will be using a pump shotgun and a single
action revolver.

We can hunt with wood bows because we do not need the meat to survive. No matter the skill in building or skill in shooting a $100 single
shot 12 gauge would provide now as it did back when it HAD to.

I started this thread because of the , well, panic I have seen at sporting goods stores in the last couple of weeks.But people like us, folks that
hunt with primitive equipment of our own making or modern stuff we are comfortable with.... we will survive in style as we always have. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 06:41:07 am »
I don't see the attraction in golf clubs/bowling balls or tennis rackets either but it bothers me not at all to those that do. :) I have an Ar and believe me it ant spray and pray. ;) :)  I was afraid this might get out of hand and so far it hasn't,lets please keep it that way.Thanks.
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 08:37:34 am »
I like hunting with my AR, that's why I put a Nikon scope on it. It's taken out a few hogs. And I like hunting with my Flinter's, too. But if the price keeps going up on the AR's I might just jump on the panic wagon and triple my money.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Christian Soldier

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 10:45:42 am »
Americans are buying everything that the government might be banning. ARs have doubled even tripled in price.

30rd P-mags have at least trippled in price if not more. What used to be a $15 mag is now running for over $100 on Ebay.
 Nobody is buying this stuff with the intention of giving it back when the government asks.

My friend's cousin traded his car for an AR.

I saw a sign at walmart yesterday that said a customer could only buy one box of ammo per 24 hour period.

More than a quater million members joined the NRA in the past month alone.

If the gun owners win, It'll still be awhile until everything is back to normal.
The second ammendment isn't about hunting, its about the common mans defence from evil men and from his own government becoming tyrannical. It means freedom. If the Second Ammendment falls, there's no telling what else our government can do.

Now is the time to stand up and say 'Enough', and millions of law abiding american citizens are doing just that. Saturday is actually a rally day across the country.

New videos on youtube everyday about defending the 2nd. Check out the MrColoinNoir Channel.

Sorry if this was a bit forward, I'm just keeping it real. That's what this is about.
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 04:11:44 pm »
Well, we're keeping it civil, now let's not venture into Politics ::).
Lakeland, Florida

Offline lowell

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 08:08:27 pm »
My son hunts with an AR and I don't see any spray and pray.   Seems on coyote he is in the 1 shot 1 kill mode!! :)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 10:49:45 pm »
Once a man has put a few hundred thousand rounds of ammo thru a particular weapon system, he kinda get's a feel for it.  I've been to a few wars and I've humped a ruck sack along with an M16/M4 in deserts, mountians, from Korea to Iraq.  I've even  jumped from a few planes with a black rifle.  In my opinion it's as good as it get's for cleaning up the trash.  If I was forced to put my life on the line, and I had a choice on a weapon system it would be with a black rifle.  They sure aren't perfect, but they will defiantly get the job done.  You just have to know how to drive one.   
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline johnston

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 02:57:12 am »
A tip of the cap _jon_ you said it well and thanks for what you have done for our country.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 09:18:26 am »
Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, I stocked up on reloading supplies and .22 amo many years ago, I have enough to last me a couple of lifetimes.  Now as I am getting older it seems to be becoming more of an encumbrance than a comfort.  If I shot black powder I would have stocked up on saltpetre and sulphur  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 10:02:23 am »
Jon, I like your style.   ;)

I heard the black guns have gone up in price a bit, lately.  Nice that I got a few before the recent rush.

I just like guns.  All guns.  I like bows; all bows (except compounds).  I like women; all women.  I also like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - Eggs, cups, mini's, 2-packs, 4-packs and bunny shaped.  Enjoying all or any of them doesn't make me a psychopath. 

As Mary Poppins said, "These are a few of my favorite things!"  I'm happy to be American, for my current freedom to be me.  Hoping that doesn't change...

Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline seabass

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 06:11:04 pm »
well said Matt.i love being free.if we all were the same,it would get boring.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 10:25:23 pm »
Jon, I like your style.   ;)

I heard the black guns have gone up in price a bit, lately.  Nice that I got a few before the recent rush.

I just like guns.  All guns.  I like bows; all bows (except compounds).  I like women; all women.  I also like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - Eggs, cups, mini's, 2-packs, 4-packs and bunny shaped.  Enjoying all or any of them doesn't make me a psychopath. 

As Mary Poppins said, "These are a few of my favorite things!"  I'm happy to be American, for my current freedom to be me.  Hoping that doesn't change...

Dang, Matt! I think we were seperated at birth. You sound like my twin. Gawwwd, I like Reese Cups. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 12:45:46 am »

The thing is, the guy at Sandy Hook, did not use the bush master rifle.  He left it in his car and used multiple hand guns, but the press as ever, never lets the facts get in the way of a good story.  Artistic license so to speak. ::)
The communist national news, (cnn) finally admitted that the guy did not use an "assault rifle" but multiple hand guns.  Ahhh. sculpted news. ;)  All the news, that they want us to hear, and in the manner, and style they want us to hear, and believe.  Yeah, better get ammo, where ever, and whenever you can.  Wally World has knelt down at barry's feet, and has declared it will not order any more ammo, till it see how the law changes.

Wayne