Author Topic: A few noob questions  (Read 2097 times)

Offline bow101

A few noob questions
« on: January 25, 2013, 08:23:47 pm »
How do most of you brace your bows.? I have done it both ways steading one end with left foot then pushing on the handle. And a stringing jig (far to slow)... ::) Some people say don't use the foot-push method, to risky..!

Do you normally write the numbers on the limb that is the (upper,) makes sense to me because is it not easier to nock the arrow the same all the time just by looking at the spec numbers, even if the nook point corresponds to handle.  :-\
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline swamp monkey

Re: A few noob questions
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:02:14 pm »
You will find variety on this site.  A stringer is a safe method for stringing and some folks here use one.  However, if you go to traditional shoots you will see the step through method used as well as the push pull method. I myself use the push pull method and understand the concern.  I just watch to make sure the string is securely in the nock grooves before I let go.  If the bow is too powerful for me.  . .  I use a stringer.

As a rule you will generally see all writing and signatures on the upper limb.  Include your name, date, pounds of pull at your draw length, and consider naming it.  A bow needs a name IMO. 

best of luck. 

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:48:25 pm »
.............the step through method puts me off balance every time, inner ear problem. 

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:55:28 pm »
I use the push pull method for most bows unless they are to heavy for me then i use a stringer. The push pull took some getting used to before I could do it effectively but now I can do it with bows up to 65ish# or more it they are shorter bows, the length makes a big difference. My 70# short 5 curve is a cinch to string whereas my 62# longbow gives me a hernia and makes my veins bulge in my head. I don't like the step through method. It seems to easy to overstress the lower limb.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 12:07:45 am »
I use a stringer and shape the  nocks to fit it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 08:05:57 am »
I use the push-and-pull method for bows up to maybe 60#. For heavier bows this gets more difficult for me, so I switch to the step through method then. I can see me using a stringer for warbows over 90#, but I have yet to own such a heavy bow...
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Calamitus

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:40:34 am »
I use the pull push method. Kinda backwards from what I've seen, I put the bottom tip on the top/outside edge of my foot and push the center of the bow down while pulling up on the upper limb and sliding the string into the nock.

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 06:16:28 pm »
And how do you get the right string lenght.? That is really frustrating, I heard 4" shorter, doesn't seem to jive with me, it either ends up to short or to long............ >:(

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 06:25:08 pm »
Start with a string that is 3½ inches shorter than the nock groove to nock groove distance. Twist the string clockwise or counter clockwise for finetuning.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 07:06:32 pm »
Start with a string that is 3½ inches shorter than the nock groove to nock groove distance. Twist the string clockwise or counter clockwise for finetuning.

Lol......the twisting part I knew that, just had a brain dead moment.. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D